Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Blu
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-01-2011, 10:12 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
You answered your own question - If one breed that can be shaved is on breed watch for shaving rash, ALLbreeds that can be shaved should be to.
I get told I don't shave Blu close enough but really I think a 10/15 blade is more than enough but others can't get close enough.

Woman next to us at a show had missed a bit on her CC so quickly shaved it but she made sure she put plenty oil etc on the skin afterwords. It's just the small few that let the breeds down
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2011, 10:18 PM
Originally Posted by GSD-Sue View Post
Note words visually show signs. This will mean GSDs who are loose behind, looks ugly but does not affect their health, will be excluded but dogs with severe hip dysplacia will continue to win. This system will do no good until hip certificates have to be presented.
I wonder if the GSD judge for 2012 will change the "type"of dog he likes & breeds, Jim Parody is a dyed in the wool Alsatianist & I've just checked the dogs that did all the winning under him for Hip Scores. most were not scored & some had severe HD & most only had one generation of scored dogs behind them-if any at all. Soundness will be a joke as will temperament.

These will be the same vets who kicked out a GSD puppy last year, that subsequently has been hip scored & has a low score !
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2011, 10:34 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Hip certs? What good will that do? The fact a dog, GSD or any dog that moves badly behind, doesnt have to mean its got HD. What about luxating patella? Cruciate problems? What about dogs that just dont move well behind?
The looseness seen in some GSD puppies is because of lack of inner thigh development, it was this that Puddleduck filmed at Manchester in a barely 6 month old puppy.

Now the Alsatians(cannot call the dog that will be entered under Jim Parody GSDs)that will be at Crufts 2012 will be unsound both in mind & body & I wonder if the Vets will measure the dogs against the breed standard(Body:Correct ratio 10 to 9 or 8 and a half(height) & Chest to be no more than 45-48 per cent of height at shoulder) The last time I saw Jim judging all the dogs he put up were much more like 12 to 8 length to height & most would fail a simple temperament test. None of the dogs were sound coming & going & as for the level topline in motion-trampoline would be a better discripton.

If you really want to see unsound hind movement look at the Alsatian type they make the dogs on the Puddleduck's program look perfect
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2011, 10:43 PM
You answered your own question - If one breed that can be shaved is on breed watch for shaving rash, ALL breeds that can be shaved should be to.

and its NEVER been a secret what is done to 'some' CCs - Just most people didnt care/wasnt interest until little miss know it all popped up
...I fail to see how it is a bad thing that some not so nice practices have been highlighted?
Surely it is a good thing that breeders who are showing dogs claiming them to be one thing (Hairless) but have actually had to shave them to be truly hairless is a good thing?
It will hopefully help to root out the bad eggs who are going to spoil it for the guys who play by the rules?

I assumed the checking for clipper rash was checking for 'cheating' as opposed to it being a welfare issue.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2011, 10:49 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
...I fail to see how it is a bad thing that some not so nice practices have been highlighted?
Surely it is a good thing that breeders who are showing dogs claiming them to be one thing (Hairless) but have actually had to shave them to be truly hairless is a good thing?
It will hopefully help to root out the bad eggs who are going to spoil it for the guys who play by the rules?

I assumed the checking for clipper rash was checking for 'cheating' as opposed to it being a welfare issue.
I havent said its a bad thing - just said the people commenting now wouldnt have cared before
Just like people didnt care about others things pointed out by her - regarding the health of certain breeds - I spose we are just lucky that our breed are'nt suffering through health and the worse they can check for is clipper rashes.
Most dogs in the ring will have had to been clipped let that be just face, just a line down the back, or a line down back legs or all over.

Double standards if you ask me when poodles, lowchens and any other breed are being clipped with out any come backs.
The hairless may be clipped down to take off any stuble but a DNA test can PROVE the dog is hairless as only hairless dogs can carry the hairlesss gene - they arnt false/wanna be hairless - they are trimmed or what ever for presentation. (rightly or wrongly - some will find it acceptable some wont - but dont just think CCs folk are the only ones doing such things, because they are the breed highlighted for it, and happy to admit such things).
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2011, 10:51 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
The looseness seen in some GSD puppies is because of lack of inner thigh development, it was this that Puddleduck filmed at Manchester in a barely 6 month old puppy.

Now the Alsatians(cannot call the dog that will be entered under Jim Parody GSDs)that will be at Crufts 2012 will be unsound both in mind & body & I wonder if the Vets will measure the dogs against the breed standard(Body:Correct ratio 10 to 9 or 8 and a half(height) & Chest to be no more than 45-48 per cent of height at shoulder) The last time I saw Jim judging all the dogs he put up were much more like 12 to 8 length to height & most would fail a simple temperament test. None of the dogs were sound coming & going & as for the level topline in motion-trampoline would be a better discripton.

If you really want to see unsound hind movement look at the Alsatian type they make the dogs on the Puddleduck's program look perfect
I remember that at Manchester yes.

You are correct about the temperaments too, shame how many see this "Type" as correct.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2011, 10:56 PM
I havent said its a bad thing - just said the people commenting now wouldnt have cared before
Just like people didnt care about others things pointed out by her - regarding the health of certain breeds - I spose we are just lucky that our breed are'nt suffering through health and the worse they can check for is clipper rashes.
Most dogs in the ring will have had to been clipped let that be just face, just a line down the back, or a line down back legs or all over.

Double standards if you ask me when poodles, lowchens and any other breed are being clipped with out any come backs.
The hairless may be clipped down to take off any stuble but a DNA test can PROVE the dog is hairless as only hairless dogs can carry the hairlesss gene - they arnot false/wanna be hairless - they are trimmed or what ever for presentation. (rightly or wrongly - some will find it acceptable some wont - but dont just think CCs folk are the only ones doing such things, because they are the breed highlighted for it).
But everyone knows they have been clipped - I do not like the clipping done on some dogs - Setters being one.
CC's are meant to be hairless and therefore clipping is done to cover a fault.
It is a major difference to me.
But - as you said - if there is a DNA test available - maybe the people with the CCs should get that as evidence -if everyone had a certificate you would be sorted

I think the programme was a bit sensationalist - BUT - it has highlighted breed issues and health issues - most puppy people who come to classes have now at least asked about health testing in their pups parents.....5 years ago the GP had not clue....surely this is actually a step in the right direction?

Anyways enough from me.....
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2011, 11:01 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
But everyone knows they have been clipped - I do not like the clipping done on some dogs - Setters being one.
CC's are meant to be hairless and therefore clipping is done to cover a fault.
It is a major difference to me.
But - as you said - if there is a DNA test available - maybe the people with the CCs should get that as evidence -if everyone had a certificate you would be sorted

I think the programme was a bit sensationalist - BUT - it has highlighted breed issues and health issues - most puppy people who come to classes have now at least asked about health testing in their pups parents.....5 years ago the GP had not clue....surely this is actually a step in the right direction?

Anyways enough from me.....
Like I said all CCs will have some degree of shaving, this isnt new this has been around since the breed started to be shown - ok not as much shaving, possibly just faces but it certianly isnt something new.
Its not covering over a fault, its only natural for hair to grow - all your doing is tidying up the dog to present it in a better state - maybe people should stop trimming off hair around some breeds feets, legs or where ever else - thats all the CC folk do just with clippers. Tis no different.

Yes it would be good for the DNA test to be done on every 'hairless' wouldnt have a problem then, the test is newish and only just abroad - in time it may be something that is done.

Of course its a step in the right direction, although it was well over the top and one sided - most are on the cross breeding bandwagon and claiming how healthy they are. The programme wasnt balanced enough for me but hey ho.
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2011, 11:27 PM
you mention a "women" interferring....sorry but who are you on about. Was just wondering as haven't got a clue....i googled first name and came up with a singer
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2011, 11:30 PM
Jamina harrison she is a reported - she did the pedigree dogd exposed programme, and various articles on selected breeds.
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »