Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sprussels
New Member!
Female 

18-08-2009, 12:29 PM

blister/cyst like sores in chocky labs paws

Hi my friend owns a chocky lab who is 4 years old and upuntill now he has never had this problem of these sores in his paws they are small sore spot like blisters between each front toe and they are making him lame , he will chew at them to not helping , he does have arched tight toes and boxy feet and is of a heavier side of the breed , is there anything we could treat his sore toes with to help them heal and how do we stop them coming back !! would a weak wash of hibiscrub and then some wich hazel applyed help them or can anyone advise me better please , many thanks any help to save humungious vets bills would be grately recived
ps sorry hope you understand what i am saying i can not spell to save my life !!!!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-08-2009, 12:37 PM
Has he been going in water a lot lately? Maybe they have put a paddling pool out for him in this hot weather? I say this because one of mine had similar, and the Hibiscrub didn't work very well, so I went and bought cream for athletes foot (if you google, you will find the ones which contain this special ingredient needed). I'm just thinking if they get wet, left to dry on their own perhaps, that area is superb for bacteria to grow in, i.e. warmth/moist. It cleared my other dog's up within a week. My other dog, however, is a different story, because he suffers with wet ecezma anyway, and his feet would be the prime target, not only to start the itching off, but also his favoured gnawing place! For him, I used to stand him on a bucket (each foot at a time obviously! Lol!) of a Hibiscrub solution, well frothed up, and if that didn't always work, then I'd resort to the shampoo from the vet (Malaseb or Sebomild) leave his feet soaked in it for 5 mins and then rinse them off and dry them thoroughly.

Another thing that works well is when he's going to bed at night, then smother the skin inbetween his toes with Sudocrem, that always does the trick, plus of course it will also put a barrier up against the wet because it's a barrier cream, hence the reason it's used for nappy rash!

Hope some of that helps, and good luck, I have more tips/hints if you need them ok.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-08-2009, 12:56 PM
Sounds like interdigital cysts.

You could try bathing his paws in boiled and cooled salt water.

The weak Hibiscrub sounds good.

You could also bathe the dog in Malaseb shampoo from the vets, which is around £15. Works a treat usually and seems to help keep my Westie free from iffy skiny. (They are notorious for skin issues).

If any of the above fail, I would see the vet as it could be an allergy of some sort.

JMO.

I'm no vet. If ever in doubt, see your vet.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-08-2009, 09:33 PM
Spencer gets this all the time the vet wanted to do a biopsy at one point
I put it down to his constant drooling and on the advise of someone at a show i got doem Bob Grass ointment.
It smells like coaltar and cleared it up in a couple of days.
Think you can buy it online as well.
sprussels
New Member!
Female 

18-08-2009, 10:13 PM
Thanks all so far, you have all been a great help i will tell chesters mum all your advice you have so kindly given tomorrow , its very much appreciated ,thankyou.