Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
gaznweebeasties
Dogsey Junior
Male 

26-02-2007, 05:04 PM

a dogs prey drive

can somebody tell me where i could find more info on this subject?

i have a husky and have noticed that a lot of people have been told not to let their husky off lead because they have a strong prey drive and wont return on command. kai goes off lead and returns all the time so i wanted to find out more about this prey drive

im probably mistaken but as far as i was aware huskys are one of the oldest breeds of dog and so having spent more times round humans would be more domesticated. im just wondering whether people say they are so driven purely because of the way they look

i have read some articles by ed frawley of leerburg kennels in the states. he trains police german shephards but says all dogs have this drive and that it should be incorporated into training

if anybody can shed a bit more light on this i would be grateful
Matt & Vikki
Dogsey Junior
Male 

26-02-2007, 05:25 PM
Most of the Nordic Breeds have a strong prey drive due to their need to support themselves on many occasions.

It was common for the dogs to be turned loose in summer when they were not being used for sledding purposes to hunt for themselves. Obviously there were not the dangers of roads or other people in close proximity under these circumstances.

I know Mals were also often used by the inuit people for hunting polar bears and seals etc which adds to their prey drive, I assume Huskies were used in a similar manner.

As to where you would find more information I am not sure, other than going to rallys and meeting with husky owners etc I would try husky related books etc.
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2007, 05:50 PM
Anything small and furry is fair game!!

Rabbits (pets or not), cats (pets or not) squirrels etc..

If they see it..and it runs.. they will chase.. My dogs walk attached to a walky belt.. if they chase...they have to drag me too.. they will stop eventually
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2007, 05:58 PM
all dogs have prey drive in my opinion...it is the ability to call the dog off or back is what counts, that's when prey drive is bad.

The reason why I think people say about it alot re northern breeds is that they are very independant thinking and the abilty to have them leave or come back on quick command can be more tricky.

But you know your own dogs and all of them are individual so it's up to you to asses the risks etc.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2007, 06:01 PM
Originally Posted by Louise13 View Post
My dogs walk attached to a walky belt.. if they chase...they have to drag me too.. they will stop eventually
do you walk more than one at a time I know my dogs are a similar strengh especially Kody and I know they would drag me with them as strong as I am
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2007, 06:02 PM
also gaz a large degree can depend on if they are bought up with small furries - well I know that has a strong influence with NI...There are pictures on here with the dogs with little critters not turning a blind eye yet if my two got near them, it would be all their christmases at once (for them not the other critters!)
Matt & Vikki
Dogsey Junior
Male 

26-02-2007, 06:59 PM
How old is your Husky?

I know of many Spitz breeds which have great recall till they hit adolescence when the selctive hearing comes in.

I think the biggest difficulty with Huskies is their speed, if they do go after something like a deer or hare for example then they go a long way very quickly.

I have heard on a couple of occasions of Huskies being shot by farmers - they have got away and ended up harassing sheep also there are lots of incidents of Huskies being hit by cars when chasing potential prey reported each year.

From what I have heard most people who are involved in Huskies say they never let their dogs off the lead because they cannot be trusted 100%.

There are always exceptions in any breed, I am sure someone can tell me of a Labrador which isn't always hungry - but I have yet to meet one.

Only you can decide for yourself what you will do with your dog, but it is a general concern to be aware of.
5dog
Dogsey Junior
Male 

26-02-2007, 07:33 PM
A dog has differnt forms of drive, the one used most in training dogs especially police dogs is the prey drive.
This is the dogs natural instinct to hunt or to chase things, whether its another dog or its toy. Basically anything thats running or rolling away from a dog can become its prey.
A lot of dog bites happen to people who are attempting to run away from a dog when frightened.
By using differnt technics a dogs prey drive can be enhanced the end result in a police dog is the dog chasing and biting or detaining a suspect (his prey).
In a nut shell it could be described as the dogs willingness, instinct or ability to chase or hunt something,
When a dog is in this drive it may not respond to commands as quickly as it normally would, hence training obedience commands when the dog is in drive is essential.
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2007, 07:41 PM
Originally Posted by myschievous View Post
do you walk more than one at a time I know my dogs are a similar strengh especially Kody and I know they would drag me with them as strong as I am

Lol yes

I walk Seiko on his own.. as he tends to leisurely stroll now

I walk the Mals together.. and there isn't much stopping them I just hook them up and dig my heels in and lean back They are generally good when they are told to slow down they do.. but they are both young and are both in a constant "ME first" routine....
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

26-02-2007, 09:17 PM
We have two Newfies, one definately has 'prey drive' built into her genes and will chase anything that moves. Right now we walk in the forrest off lead & she occassionaly sees a deer. She has never caught one yet but that doesn't stop her from trying!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >