View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2015, 03:42 PM
[QUOTE=tumbleweed;2882463]Oh dear how wrong can you all be? all I am saying is that a breed rescue is more likely to know the dogs background than a general rescue.
Why, how?

As for the USA, from the factual TV reporting programs we see over here the Americans are the cruelest so called dog lovers ever. Anyway that is the impression we get from the TV
That is a huge generalisation
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-10-2015, 03:44 PM
Nippy I removed that post. it seems to me that you have very little knowledge about animal rescue or you would not have asked HOW WHY. I get the impression you are out to make your number of postings up for the fun of it.

Generally those that make the most noise etc etc
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-10-2015, 03:57 PM
Tbh a breed rescue is no more likely to know the dogs history than any other rescue. I know that for a fact, Milan my black Dobermann came via a breed rescue although she was in fact back living with her original owner. The original owner only knew the history up to 14 weeks when she had rehomed her to someone in Kent. She was picked up wandering the streets in North London aged about 6 months, taken to Battersea, scanned and her original owner contacted as no one had ever updated the info on her chip. The original owner collected her from Battersea and nursed her back to health. They were rehoming her through breed rescue but continued to keep her at home. She came to me at 8 months and I am believed to be her 5th and last owner and she never looked back, she had a few issues, to be expected I think but she got over them.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2015, 05:15 PM
Not at all Tumble. I have been a member on the forum for 9 years. I have no need to boost my posting numbers.
I was merely asking how a specific breed rescue would know more about a dogs background than any other rescue. As someone else pointed out any rescue only knows as much as the owner tells them.
As I say I have been associated with dog rescue for 40+ years and have had rescue dogs for all that time. So I consider I do have knowledge of the rescue system.

Why did you remove your post?
Dorrit
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-10-2015, 09:34 PM
Originally Posted by tumbleweed View Post
Just mentioned alternative dog rescues that is all

Sadly thats not the way your post comes across at all...
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2015, 11:05 PM
From what Nippy quoted (which I'm glad she did as the OP removed his post for some reason) there seems to have unfortunately been some misinformation posted by tumbleweed. As others have pointed out, though breed rescues don't pick up street dogs, it ABSOLUTELY does not mean that the dogs from there will be better behaved.

Think about it. Dogs that maul people and cause all kinds of problems usually belong to someone. They're not usually street dogs. USA is a big country and that absolute nonsense he posted about us really should not have been posted, HOWEVER once one posts ignorance that offends people, one should own it and apologize, and not delete it.

If one insists on acting as if they know more than literally everyone else that posted, one is being stubborn and unwilling to admit they were wrong and their post was merely opinionated instead of factual. Nippy is a smart and longstanding member, insinuating that she's posting just for the sake of it is silly to me.

She asked how and why, and we're all asking the same thing. What proof do you have that breed rescues are better? You didn't just point out alternatives, you bashed normal rescues saying that you would avoid them for a reason everyone is saying isn't legitimate. It would have been more legitimate to answer the question Nippy asked instead of deleting the post and insulting her... for she isn't the only one asking it.
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2015, 10:43 AM
you don't have to be a affiliated to the breed club to be a KC registered Rescue,, the book (which most vets have) generally just lists rescues that are known to the kennel club for a specific breed, you just have to register, there will be no difference in "knowledge of the dogs at all" as it is I volunteer for a kc registered springer rescue, and we take just as many dogs out of the pound as we do hand ins. Generally we find the strays better as we have no expectations of them so theya re assessed as a blank canvas,, the number of lies we have been told when dogs have been handed in is another matter,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-10-2015, 01:52 PM
The only advantage of a breed rescue over a national one is that the breed rescue is better placed to understand the breed, and as such can evaluate a prospective new owner with a clearer picture towards them being suitable for said breed.

As for knowing history, they like all rescues have to rely on what people tell them, signing a dog over to breed rescue does not guarantee the truth behind the re-home.
Bobble
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-10-2015, 08:53 PM
As a volunteer for rescues' including three breed specific. I can honestly say that we carefully assess, monitor and get to know all the dogs. Indeed the rescue that I do least for (because they don't need me to) is the non-breed specific and they are very, very careful to monitor and assess all the dogs before they are offered for re-homing. I think some of the statements on this thread are misinformed and do a mis-service to the many reputable breed and non-breed specific rescues out there that do a sterling job for the far to many dogs that end up needing their care.

Yes, there are bad rescues, ones run by clueless volunteers or those that are downright incompetent, but thankfully they are the minority.

The kennel club list has been going a long time and is not very user friendly and is not easily accessible either.

whether deliberate or not the post was highly contentious and misinformed.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-10-2015, 09:25 PM
The OP of the thread and also the OP of the deleted and offensive posts seems to have gotten his ten foot pole and abandoned the thread. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, I suppose.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2