Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2009, 04:36 PM

Gremlin pup is poorly!

Hi,

I came back form holiday on Friday night, having put all 3 dogs into kennels. Normally I would've asked one or both of my parents to have them but as they came with us, it wasn't possible this time.
Anyway, teh kennels they were at were the cleanest I've EVR seen. The dogs already there when I went to see them were clearly very happy, clean, with clean beds and toys etc for those who were there privately. There are also rescue dogs there.

As Zane is the biggest wimp and a proper Mummy's Boy I decided to have him home on Saturday, fetching Ellie and Yiannis on Sunday. So Saturday night was just zane and I. it was really nice until I tried to go to bed and couldn't move because he was lying on me!

Anyay, Yiannis came home absolutely filthy. He did have the runs for a time and had a habit of spreading it about so I didn't expect him to be perfectly clean and him needing a bath once getting home doesn't really bother me too much.

Although he was washed when he was there, they tend to use a spray which I'm thinking may have cause problems either for his ear or his eyes. His coat felt almost grimy when he came home but he smelt absolutely gorgeous!

However, he still has the runs (although early days yet so I won't worry about that too much) but what bothers me most is this. Both his ears were standing upright before we went away. Now one ear has flopped over again and is clearly causing pain. iasked a friend of mine (qualified vet but no longer practising) who said he most likely has a nasty ear infection alongside the eye infection I hadn't even noticed (how guilty do I feel now?? )

I know a course of antibiotics will sort him out most likely but for future reference, is ther anything I can do to stop or prevent th epossibility of infections? Clearly he got both in kennels and I'm wondering if it's because he's such a messy and dirty dog when in a kennel. I know the kennels couldn't be cleaner and it's certainly not the fault of the owner.

I'm hopeful that over the next 8 weeks before the next holiday, (again parents are coming so no choice on kennels) Yiannis will learn to be a littel less messy. If anyone has any ideas on howe to achieve this, please let me know.

Laura xx
Alf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-04-2009, 02:50 PM
If my dogs came back from kennels in that condition I'd be horrified, and they certainly wouldn't go back there again.
With 3 dogs, wouldn't it be just as cost effective to employ a recommended dog/house sitter
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2009, 03:11 PM
Have to say Laura, I'd be very upset if any of my dogs came back in a dirty condition....whatever thier excuse maybe, ie, he had the squits etc., they do have bath facilities at these places, and a spray can be dangerous if the puppy can not or will not stand still....ie eyes etc.,

When are you going away...ie dates. If I'm here maybe i could have him for you.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2009, 05:38 PM
HAve you spoken to the kennels and asked them why they are in that state? Does their insurance cover your vet bill? Ours covers upto 3 days after leaving the kennels.