Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2011, 09:12 PM

Corn on the Cob dangers!

Many dogs love to chew on corn cobs -- the taste of the salt, butter, and bits of corn, plus they are just fun to chew. However... corn cobs can cause intestinal obstruction, a very serious (and potentially fatal) medical condition. Additionally, some dogs are allergic to corn and can suffer intestinal effects from allergy as well as the cob obstruction.

Please keep all cobs away from your dog, safely secured in the trash. Dogs can be very "creative" when they want something in the trash, so make sure that the garbage is emptied or otherwise access protected from your pet.

If you suspect your dog has eaten a cob please call your vet as soon as possible. The sooner, the better!

Signs seen with intestinal obstruction may include: vomiting or dry heaves, diarrhea (or straining), anorexia, painful abdomen, lethargy. Your vet will be able to advise you on the best course of action, be it watch-and-wait or be examined immediately
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2011, 09:33 PM
Also, please keep away from your dogs; balls, toys, bones, sticks and treats, they may choke on these too. Or only use with close supervision anyway.

I feed cobs under supervision, as I do rack of ribs, lambs skulls, chickem carcasses. Never a problem, instead I have a dog dying of cancer, one who leads a very fullfilled doing the things he loves - things included such as nibbling on cobs (under supervision) at BBQ's .
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2011, 09:39 PM
Having a dog that had to have a piece of a corn removed from her throat after it became lodged halfway down, i very much agree they should be kept out of reach of bin raders!
My girl stole this from the bin...actually she is such a bad scavenger she is banished from the kitchen unless i am in there (once ate 2.5kg of raw potatoes!!)
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2011, 09:40 PM
Well you quite correct, you should NEVER throw sticks for dogs, like cobs, they are potentially FATAL.

http://www.colliecorner.com/stick-to-toys/home.htm

The problem with cobs is they do not breakdown in the body like bones and food and often are not seen on x rays
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2011, 09:40 PM
A close friend of mine's rescue dog died because of a corn on the cob obstruction (that had been eaten before she got her)
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2011, 09:41 PM
Originally Posted by Collie Convert View Post
Having a dog that had to have a piece of a corn removed from her throat after it became lodged halfway down, i very much agree they should be kept out of reach of bin raders!
My girl stole this from the bin...actually she is such a bad scavenger she is banished from the kitchen unless i am in there (once ate 2.5kg of raw potatoes!!)

Yep, a friend of mine nearly lost her dog because it swallowed a cob and as it did not show up on the x ray they did not know until she was so ill they had to open her up; they nearly lost her on the table..........
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2011, 09:41 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
A close friend of mine's rescue dog died because of a corn on the cob obstruction (that had been eaten before she got her)
They can actually stick around for months, unfortunately.
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2011, 09:57 PM
Off topic but on the subject of sticks... this is my collie after having a stick removed from her neck. She nearly bled to death.

smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2011, 09:59 PM
Still do not understand why people still insist on throwing sticks for dogs!

There are so many SAFER things.

Ok now I hope CC?
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2011, 10:01 PM
I nearly lost a dog due to an obstruction, horrific ordeal, for my poor boy and us. Not a corn cob obstruction though, I didn't even realise they were given to dogs. Why do they not show up on an xray?
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >