View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kcjack
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2009, 01:33 PM
I am going to post some more pics on the other thread of all my recent guys who went of to homes.

Its the best feeling when you nurture a family and match them with the perfect dog and get pics often. Thats my favourite bit all the after photos.

And I get so many pressies from adopters flowers and chocolates all the time am also fond of that bit to lol
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2009, 01:40 PM
Originally Posted by kcjack View Post
I am going to post some more pics on the other thread of all my recent guys who went of to homes.

Its the best feeling when you nurture a family and match them with the perfect dog and get pics often. Thats my favourite bit all the after photos.

And I get so many pressies from adopters flowers and chocolates all the time am also fond of that bit to lol

That is so like a good breeder knowing their new owners & matching the pups to them, very good!
Ive become great friends with Flynn & Mavs breeders. Getting any dog RESCUE or From a Breeder, can be like a wedding....just extending your family!!!!

Id be the same though if i ever got a rescue, id be trying to find that littles dogs oriningal breeder or if it was a dodgey one maybe its siblings, thats just what im like.

KCjack, do you think some rescues are abit black & white with some potential adoptees, ie i work fulltime so ive heard that alot of places just wouldnt consider me,
kcjack
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2009, 01:51 PM
Yes some rescues have such silly policys.

Many rescues wont re-home to kids which saddens me, I have re-homed so many dogs to familys and (touch wood) never had a bite in 4 years.
Like Betty I put on other thread she is living with a 5 yr old girl even though had an awful life and it fantastic they best friends.
I look at each family on an individual basis as everyone is different. I re-homed Trinny to my friend who lives in a flat. She was a 4 yr old lab x. Siobhan walks her 3 times a day on Bmth beach and Trin lets Siobhan know when she wants to go out and Siobhan has no garden yet works prefectly.

None of my adopters in 4 years have ever had a trial period and only had 2 returned as they are very serious and know what they are looking for.

For example if you work full time then I wouldnt re-home a pup but an older dog could be perfect if you go home at lunch or have someone pop in. Every case is different but many of the commercial rescues just have blanket policys.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2009, 01:54 PM
Its these sweeping statements that rile me.
Have you got a rescue, had a rescue?
Do you help at a rescue?

Whats your sweeping statement based on?
I have had 4 rescues and so I feel I am qualified to have my say on here.

Thing is everything I say I would say to the owners face, I dont go looking for an argument but do feel very strongly about this issue and the NI one so will defend and say what I believe.

Moobli you would lovethe GSD we had in will post him on another thread.
However you feel or what ever you say, you really have to learn a little bit of diplomacy and say things in the right way, both here and in the "real" world. It is something you are lacking kc, your posts come across as very harsh.

Originally Posted by Razcox View Post
If you knew this person at all you would not how silly that comment is!!! Her current dog is a rescue and she helped out with a bit article promoting resuce dogs!

It may be a sweeping statment but its true for about 80% of the dogs in resuce centres. On the dogs trust website most of the dogs have additional facts about them. Can't live with cat, other dogs, children over x age only, no other pets ect ect. Very few could be taken from the center by a first time dog owner or people with young kids (under 4 say).
Thanks Raz, someone reads my posts

I do respect some peoples opinions as I am sure you do but not all, I cant respect people who chirp on slagging rescues of yet no nothing about them Sorry
For true respect you have to listen to what others say and not big up your own opinions.
kc I don't think people are slagging off rescues, I wasn't but you turned on me.
You are fast losing my respect
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2009, 02:00 PM
Originally Posted by spot View Post
Most rescues will be welcoming and generous with their time as well - why would you think otherwise? Good rescues as well as breeders offer support and life time support you know.

Think this is now turning into yet another slag off rescue thread as I really dont know where you get the idea that rescues dont treat people with respect?
I cant see anywhere in her post where she said that, she was giving a view purely on getting a pup from a breeder.
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-02-2009, 02:08 PM
Yes some rescues have such silly policys.

Many rescues wont re-home to kids which saddens me, I have re-homed so many dogs to familys and (touch wood) never had a bite in 4 years.
Like Betty I put on other thread she is living with a 5 yr old girl even though had an awful life and it fantastic they best friends.
I look at each family on an individual basis as everyone is different. I re-homed Trinny to my friend who lives in a flat. She was a 4 yr old lab x. Siobhan walks her 3 times a day on Bmth beach and Trin lets Siobhan know when she wants to go out and Siobhan has no garden yet works prefectly.

None of my adopters in 4 years have ever had a trial period and only had 2 returned as they are very serious and know what they are looking for.

For example if you work full time then I wouldnt re-home a pup but an older dog could be perfect if you go home at lunch or have someone pop in. Every case is different but many of the commercial rescues just have blanket policys.
Thats one thing I dont like, blanket policys. Every dog is different as is every owner. Some owner a may work full time but 5mins from home while owner b may work fulltime 20miles away.

Same with not rehoming with children a dog could be in rescue having come from a home with children who its been great with where dog b maybe nervy round kids. It makes u wonder how many dogs have missed good homes because of such policys.

Anyway rant over
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-02-2009, 03:02 PM
I know some people who run rescues can be short at times but they are under immense stress and have a lot on there shoulders.

I work in rescue, that isnt a good enough reason

It was always a slag of rescue thread
As i asked a few pages pages, where? Which posts exactly?

I do respect some peoples opinions as I am sure you do but not all, I cant respect people who chirp on slagging rescues of yet no nothing about them Sorry
Again, where, which?

But it keeps popping up though doesnt it "I could never trust a rescue" "it may bite my dogs or kids" I cant help it as it winds me up like a coil as that is so not my experience. My fosters are wonderful dogs and some not many may have slight issues that are easily resolved.

has anyone said that on here though?

mishflynn
Please dont be put of people like you who want to foster are the life blood of rescues like mine for the rescue and the dogs.
but like mishflynn said, is she more likely to adopt a dog from me, knowing i can keep an emotional perpective, or you, knowing that you take everything too personally and are harshly over-defensive?

you got to think of the best way to rehome dogs.
like it or not, good PR sells
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2009, 06:05 PM
I would adopt a dog from KW over KC any day. The most important thing is to talk to someone who is diplomatic and understanding of individuals and their needs. The ability to be mature and professional goes a long way with something as serious as rescuing.

I think the trouble is some people are so over passionate they don't take the time to stop and think when a discussion takes place on their "hot" topic and jump to all kinds of conclusions and make all kinds of assumptions and then it just gets personal and nasty. Not a mature and professional approach to take.

I have been thinking about rescuing for ages (even before we decided on Woody) and hope that one day I am able to. I'm reading this thread with interest as some people have made some excellent and valid points.
kcjack
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2009, 07:38 PM
Well I have never had any complaints so until then will not worry. My dogs go to wonderful people and wonderful homes so will stick with what I am doing thanks.
spot
Dogsey Veteran

09-02-2009, 09:23 AM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
sorry Spot...I worded it badly...to say I felt under pressure on that thread in the end would be an understatement. I obviously have not said what I wanted to say very well or clearly enough and I apologise for that. Please rest assured I did not want to judge him...although how he interacted had to come in to play....I cannot have a dog that is humping constantly around my old dog. The thing I realised with him is that he had no dog manners...we can teach him the people stuff...but my dogs were not the right ones to teach him dog manners, Cosmo is too soft and Biff...well he's Biff and he is also too soft. I had to see how they were with him ,how they acted and responded...of course how he behaved would also come into play with that as it was part and parcel, but really it was my dogs I wanted to see as I know them inside out.
Him humping Cosmo yesterday was not really the issue as such...the real issue was that I could tell that Cosmo was feeling VERY insecure around him and not to happy...no his tail wasn't under his legs and he wasn't shaking, but his ears were low and back and he was slouching around in the end.....he wasn't a happy boy and he was edgy ( I can read him so well...I'm sure others may not have picked up on it had they been watching...)So yes...the issue was he was humping..but actualy the problem was with my dogs. Cosmo can't deal with it and Biff is too old for that be done to him by a new adolescent male in the house...bad enough when Cosmo tries it on...

I am sorry if my posts caused any confusion.It is sometimes hard to express yourself properly on a forum. I still don't think I've put it well on here, but my head is everywhere now...sorry.
Thanks for clearing that up.

So you found out he was not the dog for you (or your dogs) without a trial period which could of stressed Cosmo out even more?

As for pressure in the other thread yes I can understand that but I think it was confusing that you were looking at rescue but then decided that after the very first dog you tried didn’t get on with yours you immediately went out and bought a puppy. It just seemed that you had already decided that the rescue route was not for you and the lack of allowing a trail period was the final reason you needed to go the route you always really wanted. So in that sense – yes to me it did show lack of commitment not necessarily to the dog but actually looking for a rescue that would of worked with your family.
Page 12 of 15 « First < 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 >