Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kcjack
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2009, 10:21 AM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
ie you cannot walk into a rehoming centre and pick a ready made dog off the shelf.
Its these sweeping statements that rile me.
Have you got a rescue, had a rescue?
Do you help at a rescue?

Whats your sweeping statement based on?
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2009, 10:50 AM
Originally Posted by kcjack View Post

But this is a forum and I am dealing with cyber people and will defend what I believe in. I dont believe the majority of rescues have problems that the average dog in homes doesnt.
This may be a forum - but these *cyber* people are actually real people, with real feelings and I try not to forget that when I am replying to threads I feel passionate about I try not to say anything on here that I wouldn't say to a person's face.

Having worked in GSD rescue, I would say that many of them did have some kind of issues - but I do agree with you that many GSDs in pet homes (from pups) also have similar issues!
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2009, 10:57 AM
But this is a forum and I am dealing with cyber people and will defend what I believe in. .
I'm sorry I really don't understand the distinction you are making. Surely people reading your posts are possible future rescue dog owners?
kcjack
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2009, 10:57 AM
Thing is everything I say I would say to the owners face, I dont go looking for an argument but do feel very strongly about this issue and the NI one so will defend and say what I believe.

Moobli you would lovethe GSD we had in will post him on another thread.
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2009, 11:06 AM
I can see both sides of this as we have been a non dog house and now are a two dogs house.

We do want another dog some day (when we either move or one of us is working less) and we would consider a rescue but Cassie can be a bit funny with strange dogs. I personally would maybe take the more risky dog and give them a chance if it was on a trial first. This would not make me any less committed just cautious about rocking the boat.

So i think in some cases it may help dogs that have been in resuce a while. If the person has no other animals or things to consider (like us when we got Cassie) then a trial is not needed.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2009, 11:10 AM
Thing is everything I say I would say to the owners face, I dont go looking for an argument but do feel very strongly about this issue and the NI one so will defend and say what I believe.

Moobli you would lovethe GSD we had in will post him on another thread.
OOh would love to see him ... get posting
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2009, 11:19 AM
Its these sweeping statements that rile me.
Have you got a rescue, had a rescue?
Do you help at a rescue?

Whats your sweeping statement based on?
If you knew this person at all you would not how silly that comment is!!! Her current dog is a rescue and she helped out with a bit article promoting resuce dogs!

It may be a sweeping statment but its true for about 80% of the dogs in resuce centres. On the dogs trust website most of the dogs have additional facts about them. Can't live with cat, other dogs, children over x age only, no other pets ect ect. Very few could be taken from the center by a first time dog owner or people with young kids (under 4 say).
kcjack
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2009, 11:28 AM
The RSPCA and Dogs trust always say NO to young kids its not the dogs its their blanket policys.
What about the dogs that are gifted in from family homes and live in foster homes with kids.
I mean all my last fosters if they were with RSPCA or Dogs Trust wouldof said NO to kids yet they lived wonderfully with my kids.
All 3 of mine that have had since pups are bad with cats and small furries so they are no different to most dogs in rescues are they?
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-02-2009, 11:47 AM
Originally Posted by talassie View Post
This to me is the crux of the matter. It isn't black and white and everyone should be judged on their own merit.
I agree of course we don't want to encourage a 'try it and see culture' in rescues, that would not be fair on the dogs or the rescues.
But there are various scenarios where I can see having a dog for a trial period could be considered , and maybe when some people request this it shows a degree of forethought on their part, they are not just taking on a dog without thinking thought the implications of dog ownership as some do only to return a dog anyway when they can't cope.

Take an old dog for instance who may have been in a rescue for a long time and has to some degree become 'institutionalised', is it better to allow someone to take the dog on a trial period to see how it copes with other pets in a home environment, or to say no and risk leaving the dog to spend its days in kennels.

Years ago I took an old lady to look around a rescue kennel. Her dog had died, she would have liked another dog but was worried her age would prevent her being considered. She was also concerned a rescue dog would not get on with her cats. She found a dog she thought would be suitable and was allowed to take it on trial after the rescue did a home check .

The dog was an old grizzled looking terrier , at some time its tail had been broken maybe by being closed in a door, so the tail was at an odd angle. The pair were well suited and the little dog didn't mind the cats so it went on trial and stayed .
The dog outlived the old lady and went to live with her housekeeper along with a considerable sum of money for his keep.

So I think there should be a measure of flexibility when deciding on trial periods depending on the circumstances .
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-02-2009, 12:05 PM
The rescue Maggie's from still asked for the full adoption fee up front even though she was technically on a "try before you buy" (for want of a better expression) which I think is a fair way of sorting out who is serious about taking a dog full time and those who are maybe just doing it more on a whim. We knew as soon as we got her home that she would be staying.

I agree it shouldn't be set in stone that a rescue doesn't ever do trial runs but up to them to assess that individual situation.
Page 10 of 15 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 > Last »