Our sister sites
Doggydina
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-01-2007, 10:40 AM

Bunny advice - bedding etc?

Hi all !

Some more bunny advice needed please

Just wondering what you all use as bedding/flooring in your rabbits hutches?

I currently use hay and sawdust (as advised by previous owner) but now I have my new rattie boys I have been reading up on them and have discoved most sawdust is bad for them, is this the same for rabbits?

Thanks x
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2007, 10:57 AM
You need to used wood shavings as a pose to the actual dust. If you get it from a pet shop most of the dust if extracted.

I used to use hemp.
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2007, 11:56 AM
shavings and sawdust are bad for all animals - humans included. Have you shopped around for ecobed yet? try all the equestrian suppliers, stables etc in your area - and see if there's any that stock it failing that, try asking on FR if anyone in Inverness has eco that they sell

did you get contracts yet, sent them yesterday i think!

xx
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2007, 02:12 PM
I use wood shavings in the corner, straw everywhere else.
Dawn.
Fluffybunny
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-01-2007, 04:49 PM
Wood shavings are better than sawdust because it is bigger and won't get in their eyes as easily, but like with rats, some wood shavings give off phenol fumes (I think, something like that anyway) which are toxic to rabbits in the long term. So I reckon it's ok if they spend a lot of time out of the hutch (e.g. if it has an attached run) and it's supposed to be less risky than for rats anyhow.

These days, I use stuff called megazorb which is a dust-extracted horse bedding made from wood pulp I think. It's safe if they munch on a bit of it and it is much more absorbent than wood shavings, although it does have a bit of an odd smell which takes some getting used to!! You buy it in a small sack from horse supply shops (e.g. many farm shops) and only need a thin layer. Ecobed is also supposed to be good stuff.

I then top up with plenty of hay for snuggling into and munching on! Depending on the buns, I may only use megazorb in a litter tray or small area, as some are lovely and tidy and use a litter tray
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2007, 09:21 AM
all softwood shavings give off phenols. there are some shavings that don't, like aspen, but they are not easy to get hold of. Ifind the ecobed far more absorbent, cheaper and what's more it's more ecofriendly.

xx
Doggydina
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-01-2007, 05:04 PM
Thanks everyone

It's ecobed I want dofo, but having problems getting it. Everywhere I've seen on net only sell it by the pale . Bit much for me I think. And we have no horse suppliers in Inverness at all, how bad is that . Still trying though, i'm determined, more i've read about it the more I want it.

Lis x

P.s Pics of ratties to follow