Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lorniec
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-07-2014, 10:37 AM

Help- chewing

Louis is quick to learn and very good natured and is generally well behaved. But he seems not to be growing out of chewing things that aren't his. This week he has mangled a remote control and last night my friends fitflops ( 45.00 to replace grrr!) it happens in the space of a minute. i'm careful to watch him and am very careful all dangerous items (tablets etc are always never in reach) and am pretty sure it's an attention thing but it is can be tiring having to chase him round all the time and be on red alert! He does get a lot of attention and 2 decent walks at least a day.
I have tried sending him to his crate when i have caught him immeadiately and he does seem to know, judging by the speed he runs when he gets something he shouldn't !

I don't want him to becomme a nuisence to other people or to continually have to put shoes and anything like remotes out of reach. He will be 2 in November and had hoped he would mature out of this behaviour !
I'm not sure the best way to stop this !
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2014, 03:52 PM
Takes me back to my puppy days. I have a Labramutt, notorious for chewing you out of house and home. He chewed so many, many items... even a pair of $300 glasses.

Now I can say that he grew out of it as he's nearly 2 now and chews nearly nothing anymore. But it got so bad that I began leashing the guy to me and handing him his toys while he was leashed close to me.

He was happy because he had his toys to play with and was near his mommy, and I was happy because he was not chewing things he should not be. Teaching leave it or drop it is also a great tool for dogs that just like to pick stuff up.

Chewing a remote and breaking into tiny pieces can even be dangerous for a dog. The remote needs to be placed on the table beside the couch, and he needs to be taught to leave it alone. Don't let him on the couch, and if he comes near the remote... either hand him something else to play with, or just guide him away.

I also don't mind leaving a few dog toys on the floor at all times... but if this is too messy for you, you could tuck one into a corner and guide him to it when he picks up something naughty or gets bored.

It takes time and patience with dogs that don't grow out of this annoying behavior.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2014, 04:01 PM
If you find the answer, do tell me! Loki is nearly ten and he still chews things. Shoes, trainers, boots, clothing, etc. etc, and it's usually mine! He's even done it while I've been in the other room.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-07-2014, 04:02 PM
There is only ONE way to ensure a dog does not chew stuff you don't want him to and that is by not leaving ANYTHING within his reach, some dogs grow out of it, some don't, it's all very well swapping chewable toys for none chewable and teaching the leave it command, this will work while you are around, but dogs are opportunists and will act on that when you turn your back.

It may seem a simple way to look at it, but the facts are you have to be vigilant if you don't want your dog chewing up mire flip flops......after all he does not know a remote or flip flop is NOT a chew toy.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-07-2014, 04:03 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
If you find the answer, do tell me! Loki is nearly ten and he still chews things. Shoes, trainers, boots, clothing, etc. etc, and it's usually mine! He's even done it while I've been in the other room.
same here !
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-07-2014, 04:07 PM
Originally Posted by Jackie View Post
There is only ONE way to ensure a dog does not chew stuff you don't want him to and that is by not leaving ANYTHING within his reach, some dogs grow out of it, some don't, it's all very well swapping chewable toys for none chewable and teaching the leave it command, this will work while you are around, but dogs are opportunists and will act on that when you turn your back.

It may seem a simple way to look at it, but the facts are you have to be vigilant if you don't want your dog chewing up mire flip flops......after all he does not know a remote or flip flop is NOT a chew toy.
You want to see me trying to leave the house for a bit - the hall is the best bet for Loki but we can't have any shoes there or coat hooks and God help me if I forget to move anything!
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-07-2014, 10:44 AM
I'm SO lucky because the worst Georgina ever does is to pick up my shoes and carry them off into the garden and then forget about them!

Neither of my previous two dogs were chewy either. I remember when I was recovering from an op I couldn't bend down to pick up their bowls so decided to give them their food on dinner plates which I managed to put on the floor. The pair of them looked at me in horror as if to say "We can't possibly eat off YOUR plates"!
Fourlegz
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-07-2014, 11:07 AM
My dogs have always been intermittent chewers so just when you think they've grown out of it they go and ruin something (usually expensive) so I agree with Jackie.
Don't leave stuff lying around within their reach. Same as you wouldn't leave stuff around for kids to play with.
'Course I forget sometimes but that's my fault innit?