Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tartan1314
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-01-2008, 02:03 PM

Proposed Control of Dangerous Dogs (Scotland) Bill

A consultation has begun on a members bill at the Scottish Parliament by Alex Neil MSP on control of dangerous dogs. Initial reports indicate the Mr Neil has the support of the Scottish Government so there is a good chance that this bill could be taken forward in the Parliament.

You can view the consultation and proposed outline of the Bill at http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/s3...ills/index.htm (it was lodged on 14 January 2008 and can downloaded as a PDF).

I haven't read the Bill in full but the idea of "Deed not Breed" is good. It recognises that the current Dangerous Dogs Act is flawed and the new potential legislation should look at behaviour in attempting to define measures to protect the public from risk - defining by breed is not helpful as main issues are training and treatment are the main impacts

* introducing control orders for dogs that are dangerously out of control. This would include compulsory microchipping and the need for the owner to inform the authorities of changes of address. It would extend the law to gain control of dogs who attack other animals - not just humans.

*conviction of an offense - i.e. that your dog injured someone or another animal, could have various punishments including a control order, for example, insisting that the dog be kept on a lead or muzzled, that the owner attend a mandatory dog training course, that the owner is banned from keeping a dog, that compensation is paid to the injured party - obviously this will extend to imprisonment, a fine and in extreme cases, the destruction of the dog.

I would encourage as many owners in Scotland as possible to take part as there is a fair chance that this could become law. There are 7 consultation questions and responses need to be in by 4th April 2008.
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-01-2008, 02:14 PM
Thanks for that Fiona, forewarned is forearmed as they say, I read through some of it, but like all political statements it's long-winded.

I think this is a knee-jerk reaction to the rottie attack 2 weeks ago, but I did note he said "punish the deed not the breed" good for him

PS: I voted for him at the last election.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2008, 02:36 PM
Dougie has just phoned me to say he heard somit on the radio about it, so thanks for this saved me looking for it, just printing it off just now to go and have a good looky peeky at, but from what dougie said, we already meet the requirments, will let you know my thoughts later when I have read it all xx
Teal'c
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-01-2008, 02:50 PM
Thanks for posting that was an interesting read not really anything new and radical but definitly a step in a better direction than the current legislation