Our sister sites
Our sister sites
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2010, 01:31 PM

Spiders

Hi all
is the first time have ventured here(am new) but wondered, please, if anyone had found a successful way to keep spiders out of the house, very, very big spiders(know it sounds silly). They have started coming in already, I went to bed at 7.30 last night because couldn't face the thought of seeing them in living room again(know they go anywhere, but felt safer in bed)
Many thanks
Luchi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-09-2010, 01:40 PM
Hi
i don;t know how to keep them out unfortunately, I too am a wuss when it comes to Spiders. Best thing I can suggest is to get one of them spider catchers, they are on a long pole so you don't have to get too close. you then can just release them somewhere away from your home. It is always worse this time of year with the house spiders, as it is their breeding season I believe.
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2010, 01:53 PM
Hi Luchi
thankyou for your reply, yes it is always worse around this time. I will look for the spider catchers, think will need two or three of them, last year, one evening three monsters appeared, chasing each other, top of a pint glass wouldn't fit over one of them Hope you don't get too many 'big uns' good luck
Luchi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-09-2010, 02:17 PM
That story sounds very familiar lol. I was cooking in the kitchen last Autumn, one huge one ran across the floor and under the fridge, then another appeared, and then another. luckily my sons friend was around, and I got him to find them all and take them out. Otherwise the kitchen would have been a no go area.

Wish I wasn't such a wuss, would prefer lizards or mice or even snakes (non poisonous ones I should add)
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2010, 02:35 PM
Me too
Thankyou
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2010, 04:14 PM
I know exactly how you feel!! I detest them! The household dog flea spray Acclaim kills them and keeps them at bay! I use it once a year for fleas as I have 5 dogs and it lasts all year. We don't get many big spiders in our house thank goodness but we do get some. I've seen far less since I've used this spray. Good luck hun and may the force be with you!!!
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2010, 04:31 PM
I found a way by accident.

You know the house flea sprays you can buy? Well they seem to keep the spiders away too.

Acclaim is one of the best I've used and you don't have to use it very often - it lasts for ages.

Have to say though, our house is fully carpeted - not sure how well it will work if you have laminate/wood flooring?

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/flea-products...400ml-can-p-16
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

04-09-2010, 04:51 PM
all i can say is where do you live?

spiders the diameter of a pint glass, fantastic.

id love to see that.

to my mind, exterminating them with acclaim would be akin to poisoning neighbourhood cats that come into your garden.

id get treatment for my spider issue instead.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2010, 05:35 PM
I get those massive spiders too

Last night a spider ran across my living room, and this morning one was n my bedroom

I've read and been told that conkers (chestnuts) are good at keeping spiders at bay, and I think you can buy sprays with it in too.

I get really worked up and upset when I see one - especially since I live alone and theres no one to get rid of them for me!

Shuddering just thinking about it
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-09-2010, 05:36 PM
Thankyou all for your replies and help. I would never harm intentionally anything and do try get the spiders outside alive. I live in Yorkshire and did with the help of my next door neighbours,( had to ring for help) catch the 'pint glass spider', they said had never seen one so big and took it to their allotment far away enough from here. I wish not to be afraid and agree with Krusewalker that should find a way to overcome this fear but for now might have to find some Acclaim. Arachnaphobia big time
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >