Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MiPoodle&i
New Member!
Male 

10-02-2016, 10:57 PM

Tips for stopping whining whilst in pen

Hello All,

My wife and I are very new to looking after and caring for a dog so any help will be very much appreciated. We adopted a 10 week old toy puppy over the weekend and we simply adore him.

We were told when we adopted to setup a play pen and to use this space to get the puppy used to being alone and being confident.

He plays fine, does his business for the most part on the wee pads we have around, but after play time outside of the pen and when we put him inside, he whines quite a bit, he eventually stops. We we're told to make sure he has all he could need in the pen and just wait it out and not to give in and play with him. Is this right and how long should we be doing this for?

We have a bed with a snuggly dog and a food area with water and a wee pad on the opposite corner and lastly a couple of toys in the middle for him to play with.

We are on our 3rd day so please be soft on us if we are doing something wrong!

Thanks again!
Azz
Administrator
Male 

11-02-2016, 02:47 AM
Hi, and welcome

Only three days? When I got my pup he whined for over a week when he was left alone the first few days I slept in his room because he wouldn't stop crying

It's only natural your pup will whine, he's just left his mum and litter mates. Having said that, give him things to occupy his mind and maybe an old jumper so he has something familiar to comfort him when you're not around.

Also make sure he has plenty of drinking water.

Finally check out these articles:

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=14526

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=8974