Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Barbara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2004, 03:03 PM

Chicken Pox in dogs?

Can dogs be effected by the chicken pox, not necessarily dermatologically, but virally? It's going around my house, even with previous vaccinations. I did some searches but turned up with nothing. I know that monkey pox is a cousin to chicken pox and that it's carried in prairie dogs. I know prairie dogs aren't canines in species, but I was concerned for Tigger, Savannah, and even a little for Montana
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-09-2004, 05:10 AM
I don't think you have any cause for concern Barbara. But why not give your vet a quick call & get a professional opinion just to confirm & to set your mind at rest?
kirstyc
Dogsey Junior

11-09-2004, 11:24 AM
My kids both came down with chicken pox this year, I rang my Vet and she said that it can't be passed to dogs, so don't worry. Only us humans can catch it!!
Barbara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2004, 01:45 PM
Thanks Kirsty

I didn't want to call the vet and sound like a total moron or obessessed pet owner, lol, although I would have if I didn't find anything out. Here's a useful link that someone gave me on another forum:

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp
kirstyc
Dogsey Junior

11-09-2004, 07:01 PM
To be honest, although I've had dogs for the past 11 years, i've only had children for 9 of them!! so chicken pox was a new one for me this year! I rang the vet to be sure, as they say fore-armed is fore-warned!! (or is it the other way round?) Well, my logic was that it shows itself as a skin condition, and can be treated with puriton (mainly for hayfever, itches & rashes etc) and knowing dogs get allergies and skin conditions (my dog had wet ezcema this summer) Although we name the different ilnesses etc our pets get the same as we catch/suffer with. ie: acne, ezcema, bladder infections, ear infections, the list goes on and on, they are treated with totally different tablets/lotions and potions. It didn't mean to me that my doggy wouldn't catch anything. Anyway, you pay for the privillage to see your vet, so ringing to ask a question isn't anything to be embarrased about. Better to ask a question you think is silly than to end up down the vet wishing you had asked it before!!
Barbara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2004, 07:30 PM
Thanks for moving this. I swear, I'll make every conscious effort never to put the topic in the wrong place when it's so obvious where topics should go, lol. Sorry again I hate that, sloppy filing on my part

I agree with you Kirsty, except I spent an hour of my vets time talking to him when I first started going there. I just changed my last vet because they were incompetant and I was kind of making sure the new one was on the ball. I didn't want to be a pest so soon after that, lol I wasn't so worried about the skin part, I was worrying about the virule part. I got the chicken pox when I was 16 and I was violently ill. I never felt so sick in my entire life. I felt like I was dying. Okay, may sound dramatic, but that's how I remember it. I was worrying the dogs could get that horrible sick feeling.
Barbara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2004, 07:31 PM
I see the delete function is gone Feel free to delete this. I responded in the moved version
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

11-09-2004, 07:39 PM
lol no worries! this is the moved one lol (sometimes I leave a 'shadow' in the original section so you can see its been moved).

Barbara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2004, 07:49 PM
Yes, I see Jenny was wondering I would have put it together since I seem to have a problem with this sort of thing, lol