View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
RescuePRPups
New Member!
Female 

22-03-2013, 08:55 PM

Abandoned dogs I have helped not go hungry...

puppy from the projects who was drinking drainage water and eating small garbage scraps on the ground...

skinny pitbull male that lives at a shut down gas station with his buddies that include a female pit and female and male rottweilers...

this big mama pit was hanging out on the sidelines of a very busy street getting her food from the nearby gas station..who knows what happened to her puppies.....

the female rottweiler that hangs out at the gas station with the male pit

this poor pitbull is just a pup ive been watching him since he was very very little but he wont come too close to be able to be rescued without help...

this is a strip mall abandoned dog. he always hangs out in the same spot which makes me think that thats where he got dropped off...
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2013, 09:03 PM
Oh dear, those pictures are so upsetting. At least you are able to do a little for them, but it must be heartbreaking.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2013, 09:04 PM
Oh bless you. So many pit bull types in Puerto Rico? I think you are right about the one that stays in the same place and that puppy certainly does look wary.
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2013, 09:11 PM
Originally Posted by RescuePRPups View Post
puppy from the projects who was drinking drainage water and eating small garbage scraps on the ground...

skinny pitbull male that lives at a shut down gas station with his buddies that include a female pit and female and male rottweilers...

this big mama pit was hanging out on the sidelines of a very busy street getting her food from the nearby gas station..who knows what happened to her puppies.....

the female rottweiler that hangs out at the gas station with the male pit

this poor pitbull is just a pup ive been watching him since he was very very little but he wont come too close to be able to be rescued without help...

this is a strip mall abandoned dog. he always hangs out in the same spot which makes me think that thats where he got dropped off...
Hi There was a time when I would have done something similar,but I am too soft,and my heart would break,and wouldnt be much use todo anything positive,like yourself crystalgirl
Ayak
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-03-2013, 09:22 PM
Heartbreaking pictures. Very familiar to me too.

Bless you for doing what you can xxx
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
Female 

22-03-2013, 10:24 PM
Aw bless you for doing something at least for those poor dogs. Must be so distressing to see. Pity the authorities wouldn't do the same.

Pitiful it is. Bless the dogs.
RescuePRPups
New Member!
Female 

23-03-2013, 02:47 AM
There is a fair amount of pitbulls and pitbull mixes in the area. Even some of the dogs that aren't on the street also look bad off. In our area the authorities don't really have much respect for the animals and it has been hard to try and get help with these animals. I have been to all of the societies and rescues out here but in my area there isn't much..
For almost two years our neighbor has used a horse as a lawn mower and never gave it water or other forms of food. It stayed on a line in the yard with limited space to roam. Just last week the horse died of starvation and dehydration. The burned the horse and the town came to bury it with a small bulldozer and that was it.
I see pitbulls chained to heavy chains and never taken off them.
I've seen a beautiful golden retriever dropped off at a gas station. People dump boxes of puppies on sides of streets...
Balas mum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-03-2013, 02:03 PM
Hi,I have just recently been to Puerto Rico with a film crew.I was appauled by the way the dogs were treated there.There was just stray dogs everywhere and most of females were either in pup or had had pups.Dont think many pups would survive to be honest as the mothers were in such bad condition.Alot appeared to have disease(possible leishmania?)Nearly everyone that i saw was a pitbull type.Honestly it was heart breaking.The locals attitude towards them was horrible as well.Welldone for helping these dogs.Wish there was something i could do to help as well.
RescuePRPups
New Member!
Female 

25-03-2013, 12:44 AM
Originally Posted by Balas mum View Post
Hi,I have just recently been to Puerto Rico with a film crew.I was appauled by the way the dogs were treated there.There was just stray dogs everywhere and most of females were either in pup or had had pups.Dont think many pups would survive to be honest as the mothers were in such bad condition.Alot appeared to have disease(possible leishmania?)Nearly everyone that i saw was a pitbull type.Honestly it was heart breaking.The locals attitude towards them was horrible as well.Welldone for helping these dogs.Wish there was something i could do to help as well.
I've been trying to get my word out there more than I have now. I have only been able to get a few local donations and have gotten some family to help by sending items for the dogs but I still need more advertisement. I am on four dog forums, blogspot, twitter, and gofundme.com. I even emailed other animal rescues and shelters asking for help and have gotten not much response!
I have posted flyers and donation drop boxes and given out my po box number for people to send dog supplies and have barely gotten help and am now reaching out the the states to see if I can get help from other people outside of Puerto Rico. Like you said the people here treat the dogs horrible they have no respect for them and treat them like they aren't even living breathing creatures.
I have been able to make connections with a local woman who knows alot of people and has made me some connections with a local pet shop to get dog medication but still things can get expensive...

If you could help could you spread the word of my program? These dogs could always use the help.
Who ever helps whether it be supplies or money donations will receive a handmade card with pictures of the specific dogs they helped out and a personal very appreciative thank you..

I'm glad I'm not the only one who cares about these dogs but I wish I didn't feel like the only one who is willing to help them around here....
Also the condition the majority of the dogs have is moist dermatitis, heat rash, mange, and scabies...(scabies is very contagious between dogs and can spread quite rapidly if not properly taken care of that why alot of the dogs out here are without hair and have many sores on their skin..)

Thanks again for your appreciation!

Hannah
RescuePRPups
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2013, 03:18 PM
Hi In the UK Pets at Home Tesco,have like a bran tub,and people go in and do shopping they donate something for Local Rescues in the area.The pickings may not be rich,in your area,but anything I would think would be gratefully received.crystalgirl