Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2009, 05:23 PM

collie herding the cat

Ripley is almost 7 months old now. Ever since she came home she has been 'intrigued' by the cat. Straight away she would try and chase when the cat ran(not often lol)

I tried to nip it in the bud early on and, as the cat doesnt really venture anywhere in the house apart from the kitchen and upstairs(where ripley isnt allowed) it hasnt been an issue- and the cat isnt bothered by her at all.

Well now she is more determined..as soon as the cat comes in she races over to her and circles and herds(or attempts to) and basically pesters her. When i stop her doing it her whole body is trembling and she has to try really hard so she doesnt go back to the cat.
Also the cat eats on the worktop at the back of the kitchen and a couple of times today rips has literally tried to jump on top of the worktop.

Im not really sure where to go from here- the cat will never tell her off now she knows she wont actually hurt her..it doesnt even bother her and the only reason i want her to leave her alone is i feel its becoming an obsession for her.

anyone got a nasty cat i can borrow?
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2009, 05:27 PM
Originally Posted by gsdmad View Post
Ripley is almost 7 months old now. Ever since she came home she has been 'intrigued' by the cat. Straight away she would try and chase when the cat ran(not often lol)

I tried to nip it in the bud early on and, as the cat doesnt really venture anywhere in the house apart from the kitchen and upstairs(where ripley isnt allowed) it hasnt been an issue- and the cat isnt bothered by her at all.

Well now she is more determined..as soon as the cat comes in she races over to her and circles and herds(or attempts to) and basically pesters her. When i stop her doing it her whole body is trembling and she has to try really hard so she doesnt go back to the cat.
Also the cat eats on the worktop at the back of the kitchen and a couple of times today rips has literally tried to jump on top of the worktop.

Im not really sure where to go from here- the cat will never tell her off now she knows she wont actually hurt her..it doesnt even bother her and the only reason i want her to leave her alone is i feel its becoming an obsession for her.

anyone got a nasty cat i can borrow?
Having the same problem with my Slovak and my cats so I'll be watching this thread.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2009, 06:24 PM
You need to tranfer her herding instinct onto something else, preferably ASAP. I have the same problem with Celt herding another of my dogs, it makes no difference how angry the other dog gets so a nasty cat won't help.

You could use the whippet, a lunge whip with a toy on the end of it and let her 'herd' that.

Is it just the cat or does she chase traffic?

rune
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-11-2009, 08:48 PM
Yep I have a very angry 3 legged cat you could borrow. Dizzy likes to lick her which she really doesn't appreciate! And Dizz has the scars on her nose to prove it!
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2009, 09:25 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
You need to tranfer her herding instinct onto something else, preferably ASAP. I have the same problem with Celt herding another of my dogs, it makes no difference how angry the other dog gets so a nasty cat won't help.

You could use the whippet, a lunge whip with a toy on the end of it and let her 'herd' that.

Is it just the cat or does she chase traffic?

rune
Its just the cat..and the rabbit that she literally nearly scared to death..though didnt touch her

She doesnt try and herd any other dogs, just plays happily, and shows no interest in traffic.

I'll maybe have a go with the lunge whip- i have one here but im not so sure she would be fooled by it as although she is mad on tuggy, is not mad on chasing or interested in other toys(even when moving)

I know its not from lack of stimulation as she gets plenty of exercise and ALOT of training daily.
she is, however very visually stimulated (as expected from a collie) particularly at agility
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2009, 09:39 PM
lily has a thing with one of my cats. tabitha is the only one of 4 who goes outside. indoors, lily and tab are best of friends, but if lily sees tabby in the garden she will chase her.

the good thing is that when she has actually catches up with tabitha, she will stop and just stand there. i'm happy that her natural instincts are failing to tell her to rip that cat to shreds particularly as i've been told that she will do one day!

it only happens in the garden which is slightly odd as she has 4 cats she could chase indoors but she doesn't.

cats and dogs. they are a strange mix!
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2009, 10:30 AM
you can borrow my cat, she's "well ard" Tilly torments the life out of her by keep trying to lick her head or sniff her bottom, also muscle in when the cats on my lap! the cat tolerates it for so long & then swipes with her paw - Tilly stoopidly tries to copy & swipe back, but doesn't quite get it, so then she leaves her alone. She used to herd the cat in from the garden, but now I think it's more the other way round. The cat is certainly the boss in our house!!
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-11-2009, 02:25 PM
this isnt just herding, its becoming a real obsession, im gonna try and film it later and put up on here(wish me luck)
tabsmagic
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-11-2009, 02:32 PM
Originally Posted by lilypup View Post
lily has a thing with one of my cats. tabitha is the only one of 4 who goes outside. indoors, lily and tab are best of friends, but if lily sees tabby in the garden she will chase her.

the good thing is that when she has actually catches up with tabitha, she will stop and just stand there. i'm happy that her natural instincts are failing to tell her to rip that cat to shreds particularly as i've been told that she will do one day!

it only happens in the garden which is slightly odd as she has 4 cats she could chase indoors but she doesn't.

cats and dogs. they are a strange mix!
Sorry that really tickled me as that is my name and i do not know anyone else with it so to see it in print so much was really strange!!

Originally Posted by gsdmad View Post
this isnt just herding, its becoming a real obsession, im gonna try and film it later and put up on here(wish me luck)
Well, maybe if you can't beat 'em join 'em, quit the mundane day job, and advertise as a cat herder...lost cats all over te country wil be safe at home in no time thanks to you and your trusty Ripley....