Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dalmonda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-01-2006, 07:29 PM

rehome or rescue

hi all, at the end of last week my best friend asked me if i wanted her rabbit, i jumped at the chance without thinking it over and got my parents to agree by doing extra chores. When i asked my friend why she was giving up the rabbit she said she was moving house (news to me) and didnt have room for her. All i was told was that she was friendly and her nails needed cutting. Great, having had rabbits before we knew how to look after her and nail cutting is like second nature. We got the rabbit and as she looked stressed we left her alone for 48hrs of course only visiting to feed and refresh water. Got her out yesterday to cut her claws and found that her nails were so long they had grown round into the bed of her foot. We cut her nails as best we could and washed her feet. The poor little mite had been walking around on the side of her legs the nails were so embedded.

Any way today it seems she is learning to walk/hop again and seems very happy she is a right character. she has even made friends with the cat (more like a tiger cub if you ask me!!! )

If anyone has any advice about making sure her nails stay short and healthly please tell me lol although she seems happy enough to run around the patio lol Sorry for such a long post...as i say any advice ?
Ella's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2006, 09:48 PM
with our bunnie we had we just did clipped when needed its like there teeth they will just keep growing , so cut when you see them needing it done :smt023
Fluffybunny
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-01-2006, 10:56 PM
Awww bless thank goodness she found you, poor little thing. If she runs around regularly on the patio, you may find that her claws don't need clipping again. I've had bunnies for the past 20 years and have never needed to clip their claws because they are always out rummaging around into something or other If she has a nice run with her hutch (ideally attached so she can come and go when she wants) and is allowed out frequently, it should at least mean that her nails will not need cutting often, and maybe not at all.

The only thing is, if her claws have been long for a long while, it may well have bent her toes round so you will have to keep a close eye on them to see if they are curling round again. If so, there's not a lot you can do to help, other than check regularly and keep them trimmed.

Fluffy x
JacekPacek
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-01-2006, 11:05 PM
awww poor little thing
the best you can do is to cut them when they grow long. glue together some cardboard layers so she will be able to dig and this will do good to her nails too

have good time with your new bunny
Dalmonda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-01-2006, 10:46 AM
aww thanx for the advice guys!!! will post some pics soon