View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MistyBlue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2008, 12:49 AM

Whats Laws / Rules should be put on dog owners/breeders?

I just cant not believe the amount of stupid irresponsible people out there, with the most lame excuses!

'my dogs just went outside and tied for 20mins, is she pregnant? were weren't going to breed' get them neutered then?! & you could have got the pregnancy terminated!?

'it was a accident' well its not really is it? un-neutered dog & un-spayed girl, its Never a accident and if it genuinely is (which it isn't) get the the dog down the vet & have the pregnancy terminated?

'I just wanted her to be a mum' well if everyone did that....... mum has 10pups....who have 10 each....who have 10 each Etc Etc...
Why not all rescue those pups instead of buying them? so many could be saved!

'New Designer dog' Just don't get me started!

'my family/friends all want a dog' well go buy one from a reputable breeder or rescue one! dont just breed from yours!! I wonder how many 'friends & family' actually take these dogs on??

'just wanted some money' well lets be honest thats what most of them do it for! (bar Reputable health checking fantastic breeders) they don't bother breeding right and on the cheap = some money in there pockets for their dogs getting pregnant and having babies!

ETC ETC!

I did not realize the amount of dogs being pout down each day, Staffys are at a alarming rate something like 50 per day, WHY do people Keep on breeding?!!?

Surely something has to be done? cant licenses be brought back? exams? 'accidental litters' are fined £500/1000?

made to sit exams on how to look after a dog? Maybe people will think twice, like this lady 'got a dog last week, 9 weeks old now, ago to much for me as im heavily pregnant' what so last week she wasn't heavily pregnant?!

'dog weed on the carpet, its getting back at me' Yes this is actually true!

'gota get rid of my dog, as you can see she just had puppies, good to breed from'

What rules do you think should be enforced?

Something has to be done!
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2008, 01:15 AM
I know, I was talking to a friend at a party over the weekend. She's recently got a little Lhasa Apso pup for her daughter. It's her first dog and she seems to be doing really well, taking the little dog to training classes etc. Then she says....

"I'm going to get a little bitch puppy next, let them have a litter and then get her spayed. I'll have to save up to buy her first though". God I was lost for words! She some how thinks she's qualified to breed after having two dogs? Why not get the bitch spayed, end of!!!! And she has to save up to buy the bitch? How the hell does she think she can afford to breed!!!!

I'm still so angry!!!! I was so shcoked I couldn't speak, I've been thinking about what to say to her the next time I see her......
Lene
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-11-2008, 07:02 AM
Maybe you need to be a certain age to understand the enormity of the problem... My daughter (30+) told me NOT to get Ben desexed, because he would make beautiful puppies.

I explained to her (again!) that the reason there're so many dogs is rescue is because of what she just suggested...

Needless to say that Ben will be desexed, when he's old enough, and he won't get any opportunity to mate before then.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2008, 07:29 AM
As the law cannot or will not stop the breeding and selling of band dogs such as the Pitbull what hope stopping irresponsible breeders. All any law would do would be stop the responsible ones the BYB and Puppy farms would go happily on producing cross breeds and dubious versions of pure breeds.

As to policing who owns what, can you imagine already people complain about a nanny state with one breath and then say the government should do something with the other. Truth of the matter is we have stopped teaching our children right from wrong and until we do things will not improve, not with this or anything else.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-11-2008, 08:57 AM
Originally Posted by Pita View Post
As the law cannot or will not stop the breeding and selling of band dogs such as the Pitbull what hope stopping irresponsible breeders. All any law would do would be stop the responsible ones the BYB and Puppy farms would go happily on producing cross breeds and dubious versions of pure breeds.

As to policing who owns what, can you imagine already people complain about a nanny state with one breath and then say the government should do something with the other. Truth of the matter is we have stopped teaching our children right from wrong and until we do things will not improve, not with this or anything else.
And that is the crux of the matter, we cannot or choice not to enforce the laws we have now, in all aspects concerning dog...

So it is wishful thinking to expect any new laws to be policed/enforced ..
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2008, 10:38 AM
There already are laws - the real problem is that they`re not enforced.
Until our Animal Welfare Laws are not policed by an un-funded, non-statutory group of well-meaning and largely untrained volunteers headed by unelected and unaccountable Trustees then the situation can`t change - how can it?
I`m not against the RSPCA - I feel the Gvt. allows them to `police` animal welfare (although they have no police powers) because it`s the cheapest option.
Until animals get a vote I can`t see it changing.
Bitter? Moi?
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2008, 10:51 AM
Unfortunately people do get a vote but that does not help if they find themselves in poor circumstances or being ill treated or bullied, the only way to stop ill treatment of both people, children and animals is for the whole population to police it, and we all know that will not happen.

Give the power to the RSPCA or some other similar organisation and they will over step the law, look what happened when Group4 was given prisoners to care for. It is our population that has to change no amount of laws or rules will help, we need to teach not force if anything is to improve at all. We have been taught for the last 30 years that looking after yourself is all important and that is what we do, until we are told to look out for one another animals will take a poor second place.
Ziva
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-11-2008, 11:02 AM
I think these people who breed on a whim or allow "oops" litters should be sterilised themselves. They're obviously not fit to breed either.

There's this woman on another forum who is campaigning for 8 week spay/neuters because (and get this) her dog has had not one, but two 'oops' litters.

When I asked her why she didn't get an abortion either the first or second time, she said she couldn't afford it at the time!

Go figure. Now she thinks no one is responsible enough to wait until their dog matures just because she hasn't got a brain
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2008, 04:57 PM
as there are no laws on breeding in this country then its about time there was a legal licence. this then would have to be produce to the puppy buyer as proof.
no licence would prove they are breaking the law. a £10,000 instant fine would also be a deterrant.

making this compulsory and public knowledge would stop all BYB's and puppy farms. only the ethical breeders would apply, for the sake of their breed.

it would be the public that would enforce this law if the licence wasnt produced.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2008, 05:14 PM
From my experience it seems that breeders can do whatever they like and there is very little come back.

I hate living in a heavily regulated society/nanny state. However,some regulations in place, enforced by law, might help. E.g., compulsory disclosure of potential and actual health issues in lines, appropriate numbers of litters per b**ch per lifetime, appropriate age of b**tch for first litter, compulsory health tests, proper housing etc. etc. etc. Essentially the type of things one would write in a code of ethics/rules for breeders. It could be licensed, which would pay for the appropriate body to regulate it.

I'm rather surprised the politicians haven't already gone down this route as a revenue generator.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >