Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Joanne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-11-2006, 04:34 PM

Dog Walks at Night

Does anyone walk their dogs at night in a park?
Just wondering as I am considering taking them for their walk in the park, but due to the nights closing in, it will obviuosly be dark.

Only problem would be that they are both black!! So does anyone use the wee light tags for collars and how good are they really?
Also do you have any more tips for night walking?!!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2006, 04:50 PM
I have walked my various dogs in the dark for the last 10 years It is never something I really enjoy.

I have used flashing collars and also the tags that light up and both were fine.

When I lived on the outskirts of town for a couple of years, I met up with other dog walkers in the park and we all walked round together, which was great - as it made the walk a bit more interesting and also made us all feel safe. The dogs seemed to enjoy the interaction with different dogs too.

Now I tend to walk a very quiet route by the river, through some woods and then into fields.

Remember to take a torch!
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2006, 04:51 PM
No my o/h always walks Benji after dark so I don't have to
kyektulu
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2006, 04:58 PM
Me and my partner walk Jess at night in the dark, we try to stick to well lit areas but always carry a torch or he wears his head torch.

Jess has a reflective collar with lights on if it is pitch black.

Unless your in a decent place to live I would stay away from parks, they tend to be full of teenagers gettting drunk on cheep booze...

We sometimes drive to a nice place where teenagers cant get to unless they fancy a few miles walk frist.
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2006, 05:04 PM
My ex used to walk my lot in the dark. All of them had reflective collars (including the ex )
franc1987
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-11-2006, 05:07 PM
We walk in the park where the paths are always lit up, and we always go in twos so we are not alone. Usually my mum and dad or me and my mum.

The dogs don't generally need the light up collars because of the park lights, and we never see any drunken teens which i guess is a bonus!
xxx
Minnie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-11-2006, 05:10 PM
Joanne I know just what you mean!
This is our first winter with Loui and we were worried about the walks at night. We went and got a reflective jacket for him and a couple of flashing collars just in case we lost any. Well so far we are on collar number 4 as the others have either broken where he will insist on having a daily dip in the stream or lake or we have just lost the others!
We also meet up with other walkers at the park so it is safer for us all. We all have each others mobile numbers and will text to say what time we are going up there.

I think our next big investment will be a biggish torch
Joanne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-11-2006, 06:44 PM
Thanks everyone I think I will invest in some flashing collars and head down some evening to scare myself!!

The park I go to is in a good area - the young'uns only tend to use it to drink at the weekends!!

I will let you all know how it goes!!
flow-wolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-11-2006, 09:22 PM
My mal wears hi-viz boots as she has a tendency to run sometimes.

Dont walk her any time after 8pm,always do it after tea time (ish).
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2006, 07:52 AM
Bongo has a flashing light for her collar and it makes a real difference, even on gloomy days and coming up to sunset. Highly recommended
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >