Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-01-2011, 01:29 PM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
Perhaps 20 mins was a little too much - was this his first time off-lead since his rest? I really would do baby steps - if you know he's fine with short pavement walks then I'd choose to either up them slightly, or keep them at the same length and then slowly add on some off-lead time. E.g. short pavement walk with 5 minutes, maybe less, off-lead time for a while. If that's OK, stay at that for a little while then up to 10 minutes. Again, let that stabilise, then up to 15, etc.
What supplements are you using? I have a friend who's manageress in a petshop and she swears by JointAid - her Staffie had cruciate ligament problems but is now running around no problems. She soon notices if she misses a JointAid dose though. She's recommended it to lots of customers who've found it good for their dogs too.
Hes been getting Glucosamine HCl 1500 mg Chondroitin 1200 mg...
I pushed it to quickly didnt i ...
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2011, 01:33 PM
Try not to beat yourself up! I know when I had my GSD with hip dysplasia, I wished I could just let her off-lead like a normal dog, it was heartbreaking having to restrict her exercise. I did become a little bit more lax when it became obvious she'd never be "fixed" (didn't have the right temperament for hip replacements, would've been far too stressful to go through the whole thing - and twice, as both hips were terrible) so she'd get the odd run around, I knew I'd have to up her pain relief and give her a quiet few days afterwards but that situation was a little different - I knew we didn't have loads of time left and wanted her to enjoy what she could.
You have loads of time to get your boy back to that stage and as you've seen, what doesn't seem like a huge step can really set you back quite a bit. Try little steps for a while and see how things go, I imagine it's a bit of a catch 22 - lack of exercise prevents the muscles rebuilding, lack of muscles limits the amount of exercise. I'm sure that if you start off slow, you'll reach a point where he seems to snowball into recovering and you can up the pace a little more
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2011, 01:35 PM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
He stopped around 10 days back ..
He showed no reaction to the short walks or from waking so we stopped
going to get another bottle..
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Hes been getting Glucosamine HCl 1500 mg Chondroitin 1200 mg...
I pushed it to quickly didnt i ...
the bold bit explains..no u havnt pushed it to quickly
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-01-2011, 02:36 PM
So many strange ideas online lol
Someone was saying to attach a coin under the paw of the good leg so your dog favours the weaker leg ..lol
It might work but it made me laugh for some reason ,,
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2011, 02:51 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
the bold bit explains..no u havnt pushed it to quickly
Having had a muscle injury myself I'd say it could be a mix. I know that I could pace myself and slowly increase what I could do, without medication, or I could dose myself up on anti-inflammatories and achieve a little bit more. I certainly preferred the first approach, considering potential side effects of NSAIDs.

A vet trip to see whether vet thinks he still needs the medication could certainly be worth it though
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2011, 03:16 PM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
Having had a muscle injury myself I'd say it could be a mix. I know that I could pace myself and slowly increase what I could do, without medication, or I could dose myself up on anti-inflammatories and achieve a little bit more. I certainly preferred the first approach, considering potential side effects of NSAIDs.

A vet trip to see whether vet thinks he still needs the medication could certainly be worth it though
short courses of nsaid's do no harm as long as liver/kidney function are fine to start with.

its not the pain killing aspect at this point its the anti-inflams and should be weaned off not just stopped
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-01-2011, 03:38 PM
Ozzie went to his first hydrotheropy test session ..
Very proud of my boy by the end he was sitting on the treadmill both doors closed with the pre water noise going..we had him going in and out on his own ...
The lady in pets@home was very helpful...so booked a proper session with the same lady next week..
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-01-2011, 12:34 PM
whats this then ..lol
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2011, 12:55 PM
Awh, bless him! Brave boy.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2011, 12:59 PM
Aww - thats great - Tassle hated Hydro to start with, she did not like the spa bath at all....

But when she realised it was a good place to play - she started dragging me in

I hope Ozzy gets to that point
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >