Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

26-07-2005, 05:40 PM

The discomfort of strangers

It's a crowded train in central London, and I'm sitting opposite an Asian man carrying what looks like a large laptop bag.

Is it a coincidence that no one else is sitting near us? Is it an accident that he's pushed out his corporate ID card so that it's clearly visible over his jacket, hanging like the open page of a passport?

Public transport can be a world of unspoken signals and gestures - but am I right in thinking that he looks self-conscious, sometimes burying his face in his arms as though asleep?

When that woman getting into the carriage half-turned towards us and then moved away, was that a deliberate decision, or was it a random commuter choice? How would it feel to have someone literally turning their back on you?

Mind Games

I change Tube lines and in the next train I'm sitting close to a woman wearing Islamic dress. But this time, all the seats are filled around her, and the atmosphere feels relaxed.

What's going on in the thoughts of passengers? What judgements are they making?

It's a mind-game being played out all over the Tube network, and indeed on many trains and buses throughout the country. It's performed in silence, with people unsure of their neighbours' motives and guilty about their own feelings of suspicion.

Following the London bomb attacks, there have been stories swapped all over the capital of people switching seats because of "suspicious" passengers.

And targets of that suspicion have talked about their sense of frustration at the unsubtle attention of other travellers.

Even though people say little when they're travelling, there's plenty going on inside - fears of danger, changed routes, calculations to avoid risks, guilt at making stereotypical assumptions, anger at being unfairly distrusted.

Full Story here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4717251.stm
Graeme
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-07-2005, 05:52 PM
I think it's a basic human instinct to avoid life threatning situations. I don't think I'd blame anyone for moving even if I wouldn't do so myself.

It's not just muslims after all. I doubt many people would sit next to a skinhead with a swastika tattoo on their head either.

Graeme
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

26-07-2005, 06:03 PM
I can see what your saying about people being scared (i would be too) but...

Originally Posted by Graeme
I doubt many people would sit next to a skinhead with a swastika tattoo on their head either.

Graeme
Hmmmm not sure how you can make that comparison G, the difference is the skinhead with a swastika is 'guilty' (asuming he knows what the swastika represents). Someone who just happens to look asian, is that their 'crime'?
Graeme
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-07-2005, 06:10 PM
Azz,

You assume the person to be a white neo-nazi and not a buddihist presumably?

(assuming the person does indeed know what the swastika truly represents)

Graeme
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

26-07-2005, 06:24 PM
Graeme isn't that what you meant in the context you said it tho?... (thats how I read it anyway)

I think what you wrote is actually a very good example about this whole thing and how it is 'effecting' us all, ie even those of us who are NOT racist in anway - it's put us on edge and is showing us how the recent events are going towards dividing us with all those emotions letting rip. I thought the article was a pretty good indication of the whole thing... and like you said I think it's understandable that some of us will feel this fear more than others (and watch where they site, tubes they use etc) and hence those observations highlighted by the author..
Dinahsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2005, 06:30 PM
i read the article earlier today Azz. It is very interesting.
It's no suprise people are frightened.
Everybody has a part to play in disippating those fears (and in not spreading additional stereotypes).
It's down to everyone - those who feel afraid, those who feel they are being scapegoated, those who have to just get on with living, etc.
The last thing we need now is more factionisation.
Graeme
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-07-2005, 06:35 PM
Originally Posted by eRaze
Graeme isn't that what you meant in the context you said it tho?...
I left it up to the reader to make there own decision on the context.
Originally Posted by eRaze
(thats how I read it anyway)
That's the whole crux of the argument. We all make various assumptions based on what we see. Whether that is right or wrong, it's human nature.

Graeme
maddie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-07-2005, 06:56 PM
Eraze this is something the Irish Community had to suffer for many years, due to the handy work of the IRA, and am sure other groups will in future. As has been said previously, it is human nature and the best thing the Muslim community can do is continue to be vocal in their feelings of horror, on what these people have done, in our country.
candie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2005, 07:21 PM
Originally Posted by maddie
Eraze this is something the Irish Community had to suffer for many years, due to the handy work of the IRA, and am sure other groups will in future. As has been said previously, it is human nature and the best thing the Muslim community can do is continue to be vocal in their feelings of horror, on what these people have done, in our country.
Too true maddie, and tbh i think a lot of different groups of people are feeling "discomfort " at the moment, due to the fact that no one is really safe anywhere anymore
All i can say from my own viewpoint is that i always bend over backwards in my work to make every child feel equal.
I teach a lot of muslim kids who are great, and are totally aghast at these atrocities.They don't associate themselves with these terrorists, and there is no reason why any other innocent person should.If they feel paranoid on a train it's sad but so do a lot of other people for other reasons eg disablity, weight etc.
obviously some ignorant people might poke the finger at any muslim they see, but in my opinion they are just as bad as the terrorsits in preaching racial hatred, and i think most level headed people of any race will realise this!!
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2005, 07:49 PM
Originally Posted by maddie

Oh I got so sick of listening to people stating that Britain should blow Ireland out of the water and asking me whether I was from the north or south, nodding approvingly when I said south and demanding my opinions of the IRA.
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 > Last »