Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kanikula
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2007, 10:47 AM

Depression

Well iv taken my @rse over to the GP today. Iv been avoiding it for months as i know what the outcome was going to be. I was right and have been diagnosed with depression again

I was on venlfaxine (sp?) last time and didnt want to be on it again. I became suicidal on it and was taken to the hospital for assesment to be sectioned!

I came off it on my own accord and "sorted" myself out. My depression has always been in the background. Always will i guess. But it has never interferred in my life or general state of mind - untill the last 6 months. I been up and down with moods and have become very lethargic. Its been ages since i actually left the flat to do anything apart from pick luke up from school.

My reason for posting is to find out if any one has had any experiences with citalopram hydrobromide. Im concerned about going on any anti D after what happend last time. I told my GP that i dont want to become reliant on it and i want this to be a trail only.

Any help/advice/experience with these meds would be helpful.

Thankyou
Sam x
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

19-12-2007, 10:56 AM
Hi Sam I suffer with depression but luckily have been ok for about two years now.
I was on Prozac.
My youngest Son also suffers and last year was very bad he is on Citalopram at first he seemed to get worse and I sent him back to see his Doctor.She said it takes a while to kick in and is not a quick fix drug like Prozac and you really have to stick with it to come out the other side he also got Counselling.
He has been on it for 14 months now and is now on 1 every other day and is back to his old self and hopes he can now wean himself off slowly.He also has changed jobs and he is a lot happier in general but he wouldn't of got through it without the Citalopram.
Hoping you find something that works for you it is a horrible illness and a very lonely one if you ever feel the need to pm me for a chat you are very welcome.

XX
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2007, 11:07 AM
K Hopefully after a few weeks you will feel the benefit. If you feel bad on it though don`t hesitate to go back to the docs. It took four different prescriptions before they found one that worked for me. As before,you know where i am...

Rx
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2007, 11:13 AM
Hi K,

Sorry you are feeliong down at the mo, but know how you feel, I have been on Citalopram for about 4 months now and Lynn was right the first week to ten days was terrible (though not everyone feels the effects) I too had venlafaxine before that and had pretty much the same reaction as you though not to such a degree. But had all the scary dark thoughts.

Citalopram has not had anything like the terrible effects venlafaxine had. I also take propanolol. However having read your other post I highly reccommend counselling aswell, your doc can refer you on the hns, just keep asking, it took me 6 months but I have started and although I have only been for 4 sessions it is really helpful and my probs stemmed from my past(which I believe is a similar situation to yourself)

I know it may not be stuff you want to talk about but if you do, or even if you wanna chat about citalopram or just feeling down please feel free to get in touch.

There is light at the end of the tunnel

Big hugs

Lynne
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2007, 11:14 AM
Have no personal experience of Citalopram but just wanted to offer support. My mum suffers from depression and is on Prosac and will probably be for the forseable future.
It is a cruel and lonely illness so be proud of yourself for taking the first steps.
They have looked into exercise and the effects on depression, it has been shown to help and stop further episodes but I know that when you are feeling low it is hard to be motivated enough.
Good luck with the tablets and remember you are not alone.

Love Lorna x
Clair
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2007, 11:23 AM
Hiya hun, don't feel bad, alot of us need help from time to time, and you have taken the brave first step of admitting you need some help

Im currently on citalopram, and after having bad experiences with anti d's in the past I really wasn't happy about the idea of being on any form of medication what so ever either

But tbh I needed them, and since being on them I feel alot more stable, Im a firm believer anti d's are not a long term solution but they help you while you get extra help and mental stablity you need

Im now seeing a CPN and learning what triggers my depression and how to hopefully control/deal with it to a certain extent so it doesnt once again rule my life

Hugs comming your way, you will be ok, we are all here for you, and if you ever need a chat, your more than welcome to pm me
Kanikula
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2007, 11:31 AM
Thankyou guys - im suprrissed how many of you are on these meds and have had positive experiences - its very hopeful Im going to pick them up later, and i wont feel so anxious about taking one now Im not looking forward to the road ahead, but my life is very different now and i have a husband that will support me - its still a scary time none the less

I have had councilling in the past and it helped me alot. My hubby has offered to pay to go private as then i can go when i need Iv no idea what has triggered this off. Iv been confused about certain things in my life latley, but this has nothing to do with my depression.

You are a supportive lot and have eased some concerns TY
zoby
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-12-2007, 01:54 PM
As others have said Citalopram does take a small while to kick in but hopefully you should feel the positive effects sooner rather than later

When it has kicked in and you feel you are on a more even keel then counselling really can be very benefical, as with meds you may have to chop and change to get someone that works for you, but when you do find someone you can talk to you will be well on your way to a happier state.

it is great that depression is not being swept under the carpet anymore as im sure that every member on here has some intimate experience with one form of depression or another.

good luck xxx
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2007, 02:00 PM
hey hun, i was on citalopram and propranalol but kinda stopped taking them whilst i was on the sick from Co-op as my symptos started alleviating...worst thing i know!

and i can feel myself getting lethargic and emotional again myself so am gonna start back on them....

Alex
xx
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2007, 03:35 PM
hi i am on these ones and itdidtake 3/4 weeksbefore i felt any diffrnet bt they are really helping me now hun. good luck and give itsme time