Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2006, 09:47 PM

How can I help settle a new dog/updated

Hi all,
Archie is very unsettled,and keeps pacing the floor jumping on and off the settee's,i know it's early days as we only fetched him tonight but is there anything i can do to help him settle down.
Sal
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2006, 09:50 PM
aww its all so new to him plenty of kisses and cuddles and talk to him should help well i hope so
RRmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-01-2006, 10:00 PM
When we bought Sydney home the first night she really could not settle down, in spite of bring her own piece of vet bed, cuddles, kisses etc. Then I remembered that when we were in France a few years ago I bought one of those long boulder type pillows - that of course we never used. So we put that down for her and she snuggled right up to it, with part of it curled around her back and she went straight to sleep. SHe will not be without it now. I think it kind of replicated lying on her mum with brothers and sisters at her back.

We made the mistake of not putting it in her crate the other night. Big mistake - she kept us up all night. Of course we did not really think at the time it was the cushion until we came down next morning and saw it sitting outside the crate door.

Best of luck.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-01-2006, 11:15 PM
Hi Nissanmad congratulations on Archie....

Everything must be very strange for him , overwhelming smells and sounds ...I would hold back and give him space to find his own way around for the first few days, let him pace if he wants too giving quiet assurance and not too much fuss.
Remember as yet Archie has no routine so make sure he gets plenty of chance to go out to relive himself.

Also it is good to make sure he knows where his bed is and again if he goes to it leave him in peace to get used to it so he thinks of it as his safe place , he will settle in his own time.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2006, 06:05 AM
Morning - hope Archie settled a bit last night and you managed to get some sleep. It must be all so new and strange for him, but he'll settle down quickly, I'm sure, and then you'll have trouble remembering what it was like without him!
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

27-01-2006, 07:02 AM
He needs to find his feet and figure out who is who and what is what in this strange new place in which he has found himself. This can take time. The thing to remember is that you should not try too hard to accommodate him - do not allow him to do things that you do not want him to do just because he is a rescue and you feel sorry for him Set the boundaries and the house rules right from the start. For example, if you don't want him on the furniture don't allow him up now. It is far harder to correct inappropriate behaviour that has become a habit than it is to train good behaviour from the start
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2006, 08:39 PM
Hi all,
He seems to be alot better today,he's still pacing the floor and jumping on the furniture,but seems to have calmed down alot since last night
But i've noticed he won't go in the garden unless we go out there with him,once he's out we can come inside and he doesn't bother,how can i get him to go out on his own?
Sal
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

28-01-2006, 03:47 AM
I think it is all just a matter of time Sal Coming to live with you must be a huge change/upheaval in his life. Your routines, commands, signals, etc., will be different from those he has previously known. Also the sights, sounds and smells are different. He needs to gradually get used to everything and thus build his confidence that your place is his now place

You never know, maybe in his previous home he was required to wait and be given an 'ok' before going out on his own.

Did you find out from the previous owners whether he has any particular routines or specific commands that he is accustomed to?
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2006, 06:38 AM
As SB says, time is the factor here. Just remain patient (I know you will) and Archie will soon pick up on your signals. Good luck
Meg
Supervisor

28-01-2006, 10:11 AM
Originally Posted by nissanmad
Hi all,
He seems to be alot better today,he's still pacing the floor and jumping on the furniture,but seems to have calmed down alot since last night
But i've noticed he won't go in the garden unless we go out there with him,once he's out we can come inside and he doesn't bother,how can i get him to go out on his own?
Sal
Hi Sal to a certain extent spaniels 'pace' anyway, they are always ready to be off , I have found particularly when getting ready to go for a walk instead of standing waiting eagerly by the door as some breeds do a number of spaniels pace and make a little yattering noise Some also pace in strange surroundings ..I am sure Archie will become more calm as he gets used to you.

As to the not going out alone I think that is normal. Archie is unsure of you and his surroundings as yet, he hasn't learnt to trust you and doesn't know if you and his bed will be gone when he returns. I would go out with him to begin with giving him lots of praise in a cheerful voice, and not make a thing of it. Also now start to go out at a time that is best for you so that a routine can be built. He will soon gain the confidence to go out alone
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >