Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2010, 03:17 PM

Settle!

I've been putting off writing this post for ages because it's so important to get the explanation/wording right but I really need some help now.

Ever since he was a puppy Woody has had trouble settling/switching off. He's a springer and he really could just go all day, but we don't want him to of course. So we worked really hard to get him into a routine of play (both with us and alone), sleep, training, walkies and eating.

The sleep part was the hardest but I learnt if I sat there and stroked him or brushed him he would soon calm down and sleep, and so it began.

Lately, since the weather turned he is fully charged again. I'm sure it's also adolescence as at 16 months he is very puppy like again. We go for a walk (an hour or two), come back, towel off, he gets his 5 minutes zoomies and then he settles down for a sleep.

But lately during this sleep period he is showing real signs of restlessness. I can see he's tired but he moves from one spot to another constantly, then he starts humping cushions, non stop and scrabbling on the floor/sofa etc before lying down for abit and moving on to the next spot.

Normally I can stop this by gentle soothing voice/strokes and brushing, but not always.

Today for example whilst scrabbling he relaxed so much he weed on the sofa (he wont go outside because it's raining, even though we've just been traipsing through the mud for 2 hours!!). Then while I was cleaning that up he went upstairs on the futon (his bed) and did EXACTLY the same thing!!

He's now literally passed out beside me but what can I do about

a) the humping of cushions (all the time!)

b) the scrabbling and

c) the scrabbling whilst weeing?
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-01-2010, 03:35 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
I've been putting off writing this post for ages because it's so important to get the explanation/wording right but I really need some help now.

Ever since he was a puppy Woody has had trouble settling/switching off. He's a springer and he really could just go all day, but we don't want him to of course. So we worked really hard to get him into a routine of play (both with us and alone), sleep, training, walkies and eating.

The sleep part was the hardest but I learnt if I sat there and stroked him or brushed him he would soon calm down and sleep, and so it began.

Lately, since the weather turned he is fully charged again. I'm sure it's also adolescence as at 16 months he is very puppy like again. We go for a walk (an hour or two), come back, towel off, he gets his 5 minutes zoomies and then he settles down for a sleep.

But lately during this sleep period he is showing real signs of restlessness. I can see he's tired but he moves from one spot to another constantly, then he starts humping cushions, non stop and scrabbling on the floor/sofa etc before lying down for abit and moving on to the next spot.

Normally I can stop this by gentle soothing voice/strokes and brushing, but not always.

Today for example whilst scrabbling he relaxed so much he weed on the sofa (he wont go outside because it's raining, even though we've just been traipsing through the mud for 2 hours!!). Then while I was cleaning that up he went upstairs on the futon (his bed) and did EXACTLY the same thing!!

He's now literally passed out beside me but what can I do about

a) the humping of cushions (all the time!)

b) the scrabbling and

c) the scrabbling whilst weeing?

You may be giving him to may options or him to settle, in, also soothing /stroking while he is trying to settle may be adding to his restlessness, and it may also be factor in him not being able to settle.

Rather liek when you have a baby that wont sleep, you sit with her, soothing and stroking singing or whatever.. the baby become used to at his bed time, and the cycle begins,

) the humping of cushions (all the time!)
Take anything and everything away from his reach , if they are not there he cant hump. if this means not letting him on the sofa , then do so.

Distractions when he does hump

b) the scrabbling and

Its natural, why stop it, all dogs do it, if he is doing it on sofas, and you dont want this, dont let him on the sofa.

c) the scrabbling whilst weeing

Again, make sure he is off things you dont want him to do it on.

Also "make " him go out , beofre he settles, I would also have his urine checked, if this is a new thing.. just in case.

It may be an idea for you to put him in a quiet place , for his naps, if you want him to learn to settle on his own.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2010, 03:48 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
You may be giving him to may options or him to settle, in, also soothing /stroking while he is trying to settle may be adding to his restlessness, and it may also be factor in him not being able to settle. This doesn't happen all the time, very rarely in fact, it's what we used to do

Rather liek when you have a baby that wont sleep, you sit with her, soothing and stroking singing or whatever.. the baby become used to at his bed time, and the cycle begins,

) the humping of cushions (all the time!)
Take anything and everything away from his reach , if they are not there he cant hump. if this means not letting him on the sofa , then do so. So no cushions in the house at all?

Distractions when he does hump Such as? He stops when we say ''no'', eventually

b) the scrabbling and

Its natural, why stop it, all dogs do it, if he is doing it on sofas, and you dont want this, dont let him on the sofa. don't mind him doing it on the sofas at all, but is it normal to do it A LOT?

c) the scrabbling whilst weeing

Again, make sure he is off things you dont want him to do it on. I don't mind him on the sofas or in his bed, this is where he needs to sleep

Also "make " him go out , beofre he settles, I would also have his urine checked, if this is a new thing.. just in case. Not knew, just when it's cold and wet outside (swim bladder. Very hard to make him do anything as it is, but how do we 'make' him go outside? Lure with treat and not give it until he's been?

It may be an idea for you to put him in a quiet place , for his naps, if you want him to learn to settle on his own. This might be worth a try, the trouble is he's a springer (and a dog) he ALWAYS wants to be with us
Thanks JackBox, a few points to pick out in bold.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2010, 03:57 PM
Em

We too have a dog that finds it hard to settle but not to that extreme. If I want her to settle I have to ignore her to be honest. The constant ball bringing, barking,pawing is ignored. Eventually she settles as she has nothing else to amuse her.I also used this with my babies so agree with Jackbox on not getting him too dependent on all the physical contact side as a means to settle.It wa sa mistake I made with my first. he has to learn to be able to settle on his own. What does he do when you are out? Does he wee then as well? Just wondered if it was an attention thing?

How do you get him to settle when he goes to work with you? Could it be because he is in a definate routine and a more boring environment he settles more quickly? just a thought.

I would also consider a crate. If he had a place to go where he knew it was "settling" time I wonder if that would help? Similar I suppose to Jackboxes quiet place.

Good luck anyway.....

Just adding that Fudge won't go out when it is wet either, or when it is dark. We end up having to put a lead on her and then giving her the "be quick" command so she knows what she has to do. If he does not already have a command it might be worth teaching him one, then it is less time intensive for a quick toilet trip out.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2010, 04:03 PM
Originally Posted by Fudgeley View Post
Em

We too have a dog that finds it hard to settle but not to that extreme. If I want her to settle I have to ignore her to be honest. The constant ball bringing, barking,pawing is ignored. Eventually she settles as she has nothing else to amuse her.I also used this with my babies so agree with Jackbox on not getting him too dependent on all the physical contact side as a means to settle.It wa sa mistake I made with my first. he has to learn to be able to settle on his own. What does he do when you are out? Does he wee then as well? Just wondered if it was an attention thing? This is exactly what Neil thinks

How do you get him to settle when he goes to work with you? Could it be because he is in a definate routine and a more boring environment he settles more quickly? just a thought. He's perfect in the office. Straight into his bed and snoozing. He gets up for a quick explore, sniff, drink and then lies down again

I would also consider a crate. If he had a place to go where he knew it was "settling" time I wonder if that would help? Similar I suppose to Jackboxes quiet place. We had a crate from 12 weeks but he NEVER ever went in there on his own, despite having treats and happy times in there constantly. He really is a dog who likes his open space and sofa by us to settle properly.

Good luck anyway.....
Thanks for all of this Rach, it is nice to know I'm not alone and I think you've confirmed a few suspicions there. Now I can work on them.

His bedroom is in the study. If I shut him in there when we got back he would scrabble like mad and whine and bark to be with me, but I wonder if this would stop in time?

I have actually tried shutting myself out which seemed to work, I lie on the bed and read with the bedroom door shut. He scrabbles to be with me then quits and goes on his bed. The trouble is this is not practical after every walk.

Feels funy talking about this now he is curled up sleeping soundly on his bed! ;o)
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2010, 04:10 PM
I have to say mine are a little more hyper at the moment too - weird?

If you are really worried it is something out of the usual then get a vet check

humping can be a habit so best to try and break it
might be an idea to go back to a house line and keep and eye on him. If he looks like he is going off to hump then distract him and move him away before he gets the chance

Also it might be a bit much expecting him to have walk, zoomie then settle when he is still high
How about giving him a kong or chew or something so he gets a chance to chill?? I always try and do a little training before I leave them to settle so they have something to think about while they are resting

All the best - I know you are doing great with him, sometimes they just make you want to rip your hair out
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2010, 04:19 PM
hi
re the restlessness.... Tupac (also a teenager) is the same,like an overtired toddler he will huff n puff n 'whatever' being a real pain...then the next thing you know he is sparko!!
you say woody scrabbles at the study door to get to be with you?..why not replace the shut door with a babygate to ease it for him?...or am i just stating the obvious??
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2010, 04:21 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
I have to say mine are a little more hyper at the moment too - weird?

If you are really worried it is something out of the usual then get a vet check

humping can be a habit so best to try and break it
might be an idea to go back to a house line and keep and eye on him. If he looks like he is going off to hump then distract him and move him away before he gets the chance

Also it might be a bit much expecting him to have walk, zoomie then settle when he is still high
How about giving him a kong or chew or something so he gets a chance to chill?? I always try and do a little training before I leave them to settle so they have something to think about while they are resting

All the best - I know you are doing great with him, sometimes they just make you want to rip your hair out
Very good suggestions there. I think you're right about distraction when humping so will try that.

Also, defo think you're on to something about calming down abit after walk.

Funnily enough Rachel has just sent me a message with exactly the same things.

You're all being so nice to me I'm crying now. Silly Pigeon ;o)
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2010, 04:31 PM
Originally Posted by [B
All the best - I know you are doing great with him, sometimes they just make you want to rip your hair out[/B]
That made me laugh, I know exactly what you mean!

Tala has never been reluctant to go out in any weather but often won't wee last thing at night and on occasion she has gone for hours. Luckily she has a cast-iron bladder and even 14 hours later she is never in any hurry.
For ages I have been making all food and treats a reward which she has to work for (grooming, toileting etc) and now at last, at 2 years of age, she rushes out and goes quickly.
lilypup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2010, 04:36 PM
just want to add that my little piggy is also suffering from restless leg syndrome at the moment. i just can't wait for the evenings to get longer so i can get her out with her friends again. although her lead work has improved massively through the winter, i know she has needed more mental stimulation indoors as she's spent more time there! that's fine but i prefer spending time outdoors with her, even if it's just in the garden.

one day we will look back on these times and then at our sedate, mature dogs and....hang on, who am i trying to kid! dylan still thinks he's 12 months old at the grand age of 13+!!
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »