Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2007, 11:06 AM

Bald patch on neck?

Hi Guys,

I need advice yet again. Willow rolled in something smelly this morning to I took her outside to give her a rinse down.

I discovered a little bald patch on her neck. The skin is white, no inflamation or anything and smooth. I noticed she had a little dandruff round her neck yesteday, but put it down to her being bathed a few days ago. (They aren't normally bathed often, she was really smelly and needed it!)

She was frontlined two weeks ago, but I don't believe it was on this patch. I had suspected they might have fleas since I was itching a small bite mark one morning. They got the treatment (as did the house) and nno problems since.

Any thoughts on what it might be?
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2007, 11:12 AM
Difficult to say. I would just keep an eye on it but not panic.
If a dog catches itself it can lose the hair in a patch like you describe.
My youngster must have scraped his head somewhere once. There was no cut or graze or anything, just the hair fell out and left a smooth, white patch. After a few weeks the hair grew back helped along with some coconut oil
If the area doesn't change then I wouldn't worry.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2007, 11:15 AM
Here's some pics of it.

megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2007, 12:31 PM
Looks about the same. Does she wear a collar because it's pretty much where a collar would sit.
I would keep a check on it for a week to 10 days. By then you should start to see new hair coming through.
If it changes dramatically in that time I would pop her back to the vet. I woudn't be overly concerned at this point though. The skin is not angry in any way.
The funny thing is when a dog bangs or scrapes itself. You get no scab or any signs. Then the fur just falls out. It's like a stress wound. Not puncturing or grazing but the skin takes a knock and the fur falls out at some point. Hope this makes sense, not describing it very well.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2007, 02:22 PM
Thanks for your reply Megan. :smt001
It's actually above where her collar would sit. She only wears the collar when we go walking or have visitors (incase of escape!).

I'm up to my eyes today, so haven't had a chance to give her a good inspection all over. That will have to wait till tomorrow evening.

Hopefully it is just as you say and the hair will grow back soon enough. :smt001
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2007, 07:51 PM
I discovered another similar patch on the other side of her neck, further down....
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2007, 07:53 PM
Originally Posted by Evie View Post
I discovered another similar patch on the other side of her neck, further down....
You seem rather concerned. If I were you I would pop along to the vets for peace of mind.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2007, 08:49 PM
I was happy enough after chatting to Megan on here. But am a little concerned having found this other patch. It's not annoying her at all though. I think I'll keep an eye for any more and see how these two go for a few more days and perhaps visit the vet then. Thanks. :smt001