Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sibelover
Dogsey Junior
Male 

01-04-2006, 06:32 PM

husky help - doesn't like her kennel and run in the garden

hi
we have an 11 month old sibe who we just love to death we spent 18 months researching the breed and after reading all the horror story's and visiting several breeders it still didn't put us off
since we have had her she's been great as sibe's go. we have huge open fields just behind our house and we have a 30 meter lead that she runs on I also have her out most mornings for a good hour on the mountain bike through the woods (then another hour to clean her off )
the problem we are having with her is when we do have to leave her. she has a kennel and run in the garden and as soon as she is put in it she goes mad
its not a case of her getting bored and starting, its straight away!!
we have come back several times and she is bleeding from her pads because she has paced that much
she has also been create trained since day one which she was fine with. she stays in her create if we are out for a short period (under an hour) but recently she is not settling in there either
any suggestions??????
rosegallagher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2006, 08:07 PM
Hi again sibelover , as i mentioned in the other thread , it may well be a good choice to get your sibe pup a buddy these dogs dont do well on their own at all ,when u leave your sibe she is all alone so gets very anxious & tries to let u know this by acting as he/she is!!!!!!!! as b4 dont want to sound bossy but this may be a choice to consider. she / he may start to eat better also.
rose xxxxxx
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2006, 08:16 PM
Just to add to what rose has said, she is only a baby too She wants to be with you, not on her own I also suspect the kennel bit has upset the balance with the crate as she used to be happy with the crate, they act as a sanctuary for them, but after the kennel episodes I strongly suspect this is why you're having the crate trouble. Just my opinion of course, coz I've never had a crate or a kennel, I like my dogs with us indoors, especially when they're babies. Hopefully somebody else will help you out on this, but like rose has said, she is desperately seeking company.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-04-2006, 08:21 PM
H i Sibelover have you tried offering your girl a distractions when she is left ...maybe a kong filled with various safe treats then frozen? This may solve the feeding problem too ...
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2006, 09:37 PM
Originally Posted by rosegallagher
Hi again sibelover , as i mentioned in the other thread , it may well be a good choice to get your sibe pup a buddy these dogs dont do well on their own at all ,when u leave your sibe she is all alone so gets very anxious & tries to let u know this by acting as he/she is!!!!!!!! as b4 dont want to sound bossy but this may be a choice to consider. she / he may start to eat better also.
rose xxxxxx
I agree with Rose...the breed I have does not do well on their own either, my first dog had no appetite and bad separation anxiety until we got her a buddy. They still hate being left even together but it isn't half as bad as when they are on their own.

Don't go out and rush getting another dog though, you know your dog best, what do you think she needs?...you don't want to get another dog if that isn't what she needs cuz then you will just have twice as much work and still have the problem! But having two dogs together helped alot for us.

I can see she gets good exercise, so that shouldn't be a problem but how long is she in the kennel / run each day?...It just may be too long for her to be away from her people...Did you make sure you built up her time gradually when she first started going in there?
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2006, 09:39 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha
H i Sibelover have you tried offering your girl a distractions when she is left ...maybe a kong filled with various safe treats then frozen? This may solve the feeding problem too ...
That is a great idea in most cases, however if she has separation anxiety like mine did / does you could leave all manner of tasty things around to eat /play with / distract and she wouldn't touch them till I got back, then they would be great of course!
sibelover
Dogsey Junior
Male 

01-04-2006, 09:56 PM
Originally Posted by myschievous
I agree with Rose...the breed I have does not do well on their own either, my first dog had no appetite and bad separation anxiety until we got her a buddy. They still hate being left even together but it isn't half as bad as when they are on their own.

Don't go out and rush getting another dog though, you know your dog best, what do you think she needs?...you don't want to get another dog if that isn't what she needs cuz then you will just have twice as much work and still have the problem! But having two dogs together helped alot for us.

I can see she gets good exercise, so that shouldn't be a problem but how long is she in the kennel / run each day?...It just may be too long for her to be away from her people...Did you make sure you built up her time gradually when she first started going in there?
thanks for all the constructive comments.
we have been using the kennel from the start and she has never took to it she is never left alone for long periods (3 hrs max) and not very often.
we are aware that sibes are very pack orientated and I think we know down in our heart that another dog would help the situation.
we have our friends lab staying with us next week while they go on honeymoon so we will see if her behaviour changes
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2006, 10:50 PM
That will be good, when you have your doggy house guest over for a week you might be able to get some idea of how she would be with company

was kinda worried at the rolling eyes either side of my quoted post, not sure if you didn't like something I said

I hope it gets easier for your girl to be left alone, but if she is anything like one of my dogs this may never happen 100% but it may get alot better though , hope so