Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
GitaBooks
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-10-2016, 04:24 AM

Volunteering at rescues

Hi, I'm a volunteer for a Humane Society and I just thought I'd share a bit on the experience and encourage others to consider foster, adoption, donation, volunteering and spreading the word to others.

First off, volunteering/working there is very different then just visiting. You get a far different view of what it is like. Empty crates does not mean open space, often animals in foster are planned to go in those enclosures or strays that are injured or sick will need them. This is especially true of close-intake shelters.

You really do get to know each and every animal and their personality and get to care for them. I know each animal that is adopted, each one that passes away, their accomplishments and struggles. Every time a sick dog or cat has to be put-down I feel sad, every time a special-needs animal is adopted it's awesome!!!

Anything you can do helps, even seemingly small things. Sorting donations, washing blankets, spot-cleaning throw-up, litter boxes, or poop. Mowing the lawn. Feeding the animals. Training or walking the dogs. Snuggling cats. Reading in a room with a cuddly or fearful dog. Holding animals that need groomed or vaccinated. Washing dishes. Answering the phone. Making name-tags for kennels. Getting a collar that fits a new dog. Talking to visitors and answering questions. Telling of any health or behavior problems you note in the animals you work with (even if they may already know, telling them helps).

You have to except you can't do everything and just do what you can. All the dogs need exercised, but sometimes a short run in their yard for all 30 of them is better than letting a couple out for 30 minutes each. Long walks are great, especially for dogs with so much energy it is hard to get them adopted, but all dogs need a smell of fresh air, a chance to roll around, to run out some of their energy and to stay house-trained (they can loose that if not let out often enough). It also makes cleaning up WAY easier.

Checking up on all the cats, giving them some play time or snuggles, fixing wrinkled blankets, offering clean bedding to crates and fresh water to drink. It always helps, and its a way to get them use to people.

Going to adoption events just to hold the dogs leashes or to offer food or drinks, ect.

Volunteering is a wonderful thing, and no matter how often you do it, it makes a difference. Fostering also helps IMMENSELY as it opens up space for new intakes, gives the animals an in-home experience and one-on-one attention, and gives the staff a chance to work on critical cases. It also helps those animals avoid developing problem behaviors associated with lack of one-on-one time and is a way of quarantining them away from health issues that may come in with new, stray animals that aren't vaccinated, dewormed, ect.

Anything you can do helps!!! : )
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-10-2016, 07:59 AM
When we had boarding kennels we had people wanted to volunteer but refused them as they were unreliable. Turned up then didn't ,said they would and didn't, A complete waste of our time showing them the ropes with them expecting to play with the dogs and not do the undesirable jobs.

What they don't realise is the legal implications of having them on site. its not in the UK just turn up and work, there is personnel staff insurance to consider just for one thing then they expected some financial remuneration. The risk of them not doing as instructed for another, infact they are a right pain in the backside

That is from a kennel owners view point which is different from the OP's one.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

03-10-2016, 12:17 PM
TW, I think we need to keep in mind the the basic difference between work in the UK and the USA, over the pond they (mostly) have a 'can do' attitude and I know for a fact (having worked alongside many Americans in many countries) that it's 'normal' to turn up 5 or 10 minutes early and leave well after official end of day. In UK turning up late has become the norm, or not at all on a Monday (due to a hangover or whatever)

All the things you describe are so accurate yet the politicaly correct media are not allowed to point the finger at the employee it is always the employer who is at fault.

By and large Americans see themselves as part of the business whereas most ('tho not all) English see themselves as all important and put themselves first over the company.

Things have changed a bit in recent years but there's a lot further to go before the UK will equal the US in productivity.
Mandyuk1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2016, 06:39 PM
There's another problem in this country as well, my daughter needs & wants to do 'work experience ' because she's doing Animal care at college & wanting to work with animals, is actually rescue centre, kennels ect actually allowing her to come work with them, ( & her class mates having the same problems in different areas) some of the big companies want volunteers but then when she's asked not getting back to her, smaller kennels same.
Shame by sounds of it that we not more like the USA and actually giving people a chance to learn the ropes & then using the help offered
Pitrescuemama
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-08-2017, 05:23 PM
Originally Posted by Mandyuk1 View Post
Shame by sounds of it that we not more like the USA and actually giving people a chance to learn the ropes & then using the help offered
I wish things were different for you and pray someday they will be.