Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2012, 09:15 AM

Spider bite!

Kismet came in on Sunday with a very swollen face.. thought she must have been stung by something... Thought little of it, but gave her half a piriton just in case... about 5 mins later she came running in again, this time with a large spider attached to her nose! I knocked it off and she pounced on it and ate it ... Her nose swelled more, making me think the first incident was probably the same spider.

This was her on Sunday:

The next day, I gave another half an antihistamine and thinks seemed to be going down...

Monday and tuesday it looked like that. Two definite bumps.. She found it a bit itchy.

Then yesterday on the walk, her muzzle rubbed the top one a bit and there was a little blood. When we got home she went mousing in the garden and cam in having rubbed the bottom one red as well

This morning, despite sleeping with me all night and not rubbing excessively at her face things seem to have got worse! ...

I'm taking her to the vet...

The spider looked like a false widow, or tube web spider, big bulbous light brown/orange body, no markings, dark chestnut brown legs... It didn't look particularly odd or foreign.

But I live in a garrison area and alot of soldiers just returned, which combined with the mild weather, could have a foreign invader... whish she hadn't eaten it
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2012, 09:30 AM
Ouch! Poor girly. The vet might give a cream that can relieve and swelling and itching. If you want something non-prescription, I found Dermacton cream good for Casper's lick granuloma (thankfully it wasn't that serious)
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2012, 09:37 AM
ouch! poor girl! ooh how scary thinking about foreign spiders i hate the creatures that are in THIS country, never mind ones that are from abroad i am a wimp though
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2012, 10:21 AM
She has had a steroid injection and has a course of antibiotics.. She was not impressed witht he strange locum vet squeezing her nose bite though and growled at him... He insisted she wear a muzzle for the rest of the exam...

Poor Kismet... It rubbed her nose worse I understand his nervousness though.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2012, 10:27 AM
Bless her. If she needs to go back again, try getting a scrap of Vetbed (or any soft material would probably do) to line the top of the muzzle, I know some people have glued Vetbed into the top of muzzles to stop it rubbing when they have to use them frequently.
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2012, 10:37 AM
I'm going to take her out now.. no Muzzle and hope we don't meet any other dogs ... If we do, I'll only pop the muzzle on if they look like they're dashing towards us... If we walk in the middle of the field, we should get plenty of warning of approaching monsters
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2012, 10:43 AM
Do you have a headcollar for her at all? Looks like some headcollars might sit further up than the bites, dependant on design, so be OK and give you a bit more control if dogs do approach.
Found this padded muzzle, you might be able to adapt your current one in a similar fashion?
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2012, 04:39 PM
Oh help poor Kismet!! One thing that spider won't be chewing on anything else, hope she recovers quickly!!
Elaine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2012, 06:22 PM
Poor Kismet, I feel her pain, I was bitten by a spider a few years ago and it flippin hurt.

Hugs from me and mine
xxx
PB&J
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2012, 06:31 PM
Eek, how horrible Poor girly, hope she's feeling better soon x
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >