Our sister sites
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2009, 11:52 PM

Weird incident

Hello everyone

Just a question about a bit of a strange incident the other day:

I took Mandarina (5 month old JRT bitch) to my mum's farm the other weekend. Everything was fine, she's been there before a couple of times.

The day after we arrived, out of the blue, she came sniffing at the door, so I opened it and she came in walking strangely and then fell on her side with her legs completely stiff Honestly I thought she had died

I tried to get her up but she kept falling over and rolling her eyes, so we just kept talking to her and blowing in her face to make sure she didn't fall asleep, gave her a few drops of antihistamine and rushed her to the vet. It took about 15-20min to get there and once we arrived she was a bit drowsy, but otherwise fine...

All including vet were completely puzzled as to what might have happened... the only theory that seems likely is that she could have gotten a shock from the electric fence.

Can anyone suggest what it could have been that made her react like this?
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2009, 05:22 AM
Sorry can not really advise, when you say she came in, do you mean she was out alone, if so anything could of happened, as your vet says electric shock (although I didn't think those fences were that strong of electric) bang on the head, anything really. At 5 months she could of been or done anything if she was being inquisitive. Maybe it would be an idea to keep an eye on her when she's at your mom's farm just incase.
obviously if it happens again the vet may suggest tests.

Hope she ok
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-05-2009, 12:57 PM
Hi Tuti it must have been scary to see Mandarina's odd behaviour.

It certainly sounds as thought she ingested some substance or something similar happened to cause this kind of reaction.

Just a thought, I don't know much about Columbia, do you have snakes and stinging insects there? Maybe your little one had a small bite of some kind...
Magic
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-05-2009, 01:21 PM
I have had a very similar sounding experience with a jrt many years ago - it was anaphylactic (sp) shock - wasp sting! I had been outside in the vicinity at the time and he had been nosing about in the grass by some boulders, he had come walking across to me very strangely and then vomited and keeled over - unconscious! Didn't have a clue what it was at that time only later on when piecing together the whole sequence of events - anyway, when he came round his little head swelled up horribly but by time we eventually got him to see the vet, it had subsided and he got over it, interestingly it was also the same time of year.

If that's what has happened to your little one, you will have to be very careful in the future because subsequent stings can prove fatal but your vet should advise you.

Good luck!
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2009, 03:07 PM
Thanks all

We did consider the possibility of anaphylactic shock but we checked her all over and there was no swelling anywhere or any bite wounds. Also Mandarina has been stung by wasps a couple of times already and nothing happens... I suppose it depends on the type of wasp though as I was stung by a huge black one the other day (through my jeans!) and my leg swelled up for about 3 days!

We do have lots of stinging creatures, especially in the farm - there are even coral snakes!

Is it possible she could have gone into anaphylactic shock without there being any evidence of a sting? Because the piriton we gave her did seem to help a bit ...
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-05-2009, 03:55 PM
Originally Posted by ooee View Post
Thanks all

We did consider the possibility of anaphylactic shock but we checked her all over and there was no swelling anywhere or any bite wounds. Also Mandarina has been stung by wasps a couple of times already and nothing happens... I suppose it depends on the type of wasp though as I was stung by a huge black one the other day (through my jeans!) and my leg swelled up for about 3 days!

We do have lots of stinging creatures, especially in the farm - there are even coral snakes!

Is it possible she could have gone into anaphylactic shock without there being any evidence of a sting? Because the piriton we gave her did seem to help a bit ...
Hi Tuti it is possible any bite/sting could have been tiny and under the coat so not visible or even on the tongue .

Mandarina may have eaten something unsuitable of course, but she didn't have a common allergic reaction which often presents as a rapidly growing rash 'lumps' under the skin, instead she had a kind of 'fit' which sounds more like poison/maybe a venomous bite.

I think had it been due to the electric fence the episode would have been more likely to have happened on the spot rather than a delayed reaction..

Hopefully nothing like that will ever happen again
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2009, 04:54 PM
There must have been something at the back of your head that told you this may be a reaction to something otherwise I doubt you would have given her the antihistamine? if one of mydogs came in acting like that my first thought would not be to administer an antihistamine, i would be thinking a kick to the head or something.

Mo