View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2015, 08:09 PM
All right. I see the thread now. I'm not going to have a fit or go throwing around words like "abuse", but they gave you good advice, and it is a shame that you did not follow it. You went for an even younger dog, who needs even more active time. Young Labrador dogs aren't content with only a half hour each day outside.

Now that you're going to actually get the dog, it's time to take some advice, otherwise you're going to have a terror of a dog on your hands. You've got to find a way to fit more exercise into the dogs routine. Unless they told you the dog was house broken, do NOT expect this.

I know the temptation to own a lovely dog is so heavy, but I'm not sure you've really thought this through. Are your room mates prepared to care for, train, and give attention to YOUR dog? That is your job, and it doesn't seem like you'll be around enough to do it.

As a final comment, there is still time to change your mind. Even if you've already placed a non refundable payment, the dogs welfare is more important than that. If you're not prepared to follow the advice, you're likely going to have a very tough time with the dog, and even likely end up returning him.

Think long and hard, and if you can't devote more time to your dog than what I saw in that other thread, please don't get him. It'll end badly for everyone.
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-02-2015, 10:32 PM
From what I gathered from the past post about routine, the dog will be crated for no more than 8.5 hours. While this is not the ideal, saying that it's abuse and shaking with rage is a bit far fetched. I can think of some things which would be much worse.

If a person needs to work full-time, does that imply they could not have a dog? I've noticed a trend on this forum about the amount of time leaving a dog alone during the day, and it's a bit unrealistic in the greater scheme of things. Most people work outside the home and don't have the luxury of working from home or being able to come home for lunch. This does not mean that they can't have a dog. People need to make a living to pay bills, rent/mortgages, car payments, food, etc, but make up for it with quality exercise and training time.

There are plenty of homes where the people work full-time and still provide a dog with exercise and mental stimulation just as there are owners who do not. Same goes for people who work from home. Just because a person is home all day does not automatically imply the owner will be giving the dog a huge amount of attention.

It's a case by case basis, and the OP needs to do more research, but I have also seen where people were not initially prepared for the dog they decided to adopt, but made life changes to accommodate after finding out the hard way. You never know, this particular dog might not need to be crated for so long and can be trusted to be left loose. There are too many unknown variables to start pounding down on people. Just like when talking about dog behaviours and such, it's never black and white and same goes for this situation.

There were suggestions and opinions given to the OP, many I agree with to a degree, but to be angry that they didn't follow your direction is not realistic either. Just because someone asks for suggestions does not automatically imply they "have" to take the advice.

I hope the new dog turns out to be a laid back dog for his own sake.
PONlady
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-02-2015, 11:13 PM
I find it astounding that I'm the one being attacked here!

Crating a young, rescue Labrador for eight and a half hours every day 'is not the ideal' . . Are you serious? Come ON! The idea is horrifying!

Are there any Labrador breeders on this forum? Would you sell a dog under those conditions???

Labradors have been said to have the intelligence of a three year old child. Can you imagine a three year old child being confined to his bed for 8.5 hours every day, allowed out only for a few bathroom breaks (not necessarily when he needs it), and maybe a half-hour at the play park after dinner, then being expected to sleep all night, until the next day, he's taken to the bathroom, given breakfast and locked back into his bed for the day?

Would you seriously term that, 'not ideal'??

Oh, it's not a child, it's just a dog, so it doesn't matter! Is that what you're saying?

As for the chip you seem to have about working dog owners . . I suggested this person look for a DIFFERENT dog, perhaps a toy breed, an older dog that would be happy to snooze away the day while she was at work. Instead, she's chosen an even YOUNGER Labrador! In full knowledge of the likely consequences.

You know what? I'm not the one about to lock a young, possibly emotionally damaged Labrador, in a crate for most of the daylight hours of it's life.

I'm just the one trying to shock this person into recognising the full error of what she's about to do - talking nicely certainly didn't work - and hoping against hope it will make her think again while there's still time.

But thanks for your support.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2015, 11:15 PM
I agree with Timber to some degree, as well. Throwing around the word abuse is certainly overkill IMO, there is also no point in being in a rage. How is being mean to the OP going to possibly help the dog? We have to keep trying, for the dog's sake.

I think the OP really wants to make things the best for his dog and simply may not realize what he has gotten into. Saying that you "wash your hands of" the OP is just nasty IMO. How come you're so much better than him? Even if we cannot stop him from getting the dog, maybe we can make things easier for him once he gets it.

Perhaps the dog will settle in just fine without the exercise. I highly doubt it because of his age and breed, but all there needs is a little tweaking and perhaps the dog will be fine. The sheer time the owner will be away from the new dog does seem like a problem to me, but maybe there is a way around this.

In any case, if he's bent on getting the dog, I think nobody should just give up and walk away. Maybe he will still take advice, maybe he needs it. At this point, our rage or fury does not mean anything, we should try and help the dog by helping him. If he's still asking here, just perhaps he's willing to listen.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2015, 11:22 PM
Oh, and I'm not positive how you think that just because he's a rescue means he's had a terrible life. There are dogs in rescue for various reasons, you're not sure he's had a terrible life. That is you assuming things. He could be a great and well balanced dog surrendered because the owners moved or something.

I'm not attacking you, only trying to say that if you're not willing to try and help the dog by continuing to try and change the owner's mind, then I don't see what good your comments are. I think you have over reacted just a tad.

Yes, the situation is not ideal, but goodness, he seems to be trying to fit the dog into his lifestyle as smoothly as possible, while trying to protect his home and the dog. He wants the dog to have free run of the house when he's not home, which is better for the dog. I don't see him as a cruel person, maybe just an uneducated one who didn't do enough research and isn't quite sure of what he's getting into.

Okay he ignored the advice not to get the dog, I personally agree that he shouldn't have picked this dog but instead he should have picked another dog instead. That isn't important now, is it? What is getting angry going to do? What is being condescending such as "washing your hands of him" going to do?

I want him and the dog to have a good life, but to accomplish this, isn't it obvious that he needs help? I'm no expert, but I can help, and so can you, PONlady. Give him a break for a second and soften your approach. A gentle approach is always better, even if you're fuming. Saying the dog will be in hell because of him? That is really overkill.

Even if you think he won't listen to any more advice, you don't have to be so rude. You could have just said "You didn't listen to my advice then, so it makes no sense that you'd listen to it now." and left it at that? "Shocking" him into something by being rude isn't the way to go IMO.

And be honest, do you really think it will work?
marley123
Dogsey Senior
Male 

24-02-2015, 11:42 PM
How the hell in any way shape or form is it animal abuse ?
My dog is home alone just over 10 hours aday 5 days a week,
Until recently he spent that time in a cage, he was perfectly content and happy with the routine, now his cage is left open guess where he spends ALL day..... Led in his cage.
And guess what I'm getting a puppy shortly, he will be getting more toilet breaks but he will still be affectivly home alone up to 10 hours aday, in this modern world dogs live perfectly happily in houses where owners have full time jobs, or should I work part time and then rehome my dog cause I can't look after him ? .........
The dog is currently in rescue where it is locked in a kennel on it's own at least 23 hours aday I would say let's leave it there shall we
Dibbythedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-02-2015, 12:14 AM
Generally in the Uk in the more recent past , people didnt leave their dogs alone all day . Most Rescues wont rehome to people who both work full time .

I'm sure some dogs are happy but some aren't and end in rescue or back in rescue. It depends on the dog , how much time you have and if you have someone to walk your dog in the day.

If I had to keep a dog in a crate on its own for 10 hours a day then I wouldn't have one.
I wouldnt have a puppy in conditions where it was left alone for hours.
marley123
Dogsey Senior
Male 

25-02-2015, 12:16 AM
With out causing offence how do all you people that don't work and don't leave your dogs alone afford to live exactly ?
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-02-2015, 12:21 AM
Originally Posted by Dibbythedog View Post

If I had to keep a dog in a crate on its own for 10 hours a day then I wouldn't have one.
I wouldnt have a puppy in conditions where it was left alone for hours.
Neither would I , it is no life for any dog .
marley123
Dogsey Senior
Male 

25-02-2015, 12:23 AM
No I'm a terrible person I shouldn't have my dog I should never own a dog ever again I'll dump my dog at a rescue tomorrow to spend. 23 hours aday locked in a kennel
Page 2 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »