View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2010, 06:25 PM

Corsodyl mouthwash.....can it be used in dogs?

I was wondering if you can use human Corsodyl mouthwash in dogs? My grey has gum disease and I want to use it for her but the so called dog version is quite expensive for what you get.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2010, 07:50 PM
Corsodyl is pretty strong stuff. I wouldn't if I were you.....
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2010, 08:17 PM
I would water it down first of course!!
It's just I've seen it on a website saying that it's ok to use but wanted to make sure!!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2010, 08:24 PM
Hmmmm.....

If it were me, I would be asking the vet before risking it. It's not worth burning your dog for the sake of a few quid.

JMO
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2010, 08:29 PM
I wouldn't risk using it at all, watered down or not. It is meant for humans and not dogs, and is definitely not for swallowing.......something you cannot tell your dog.

There are very few medications of any sort that can be used both on humans and dogs, and it may cost you a great deal more in vets bills in the long run than you save on the treatment.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2010, 08:31 PM
Originally Posted by zoe1969 View Post
I would water it down first of course!!
It's just I've seen it on a website saying that it's ok to use but wanted to make sure!!
dont believe everything you read ...remember no matter how hard you try your dog will swallow some.
it will not of been tested for dogs,and a lot of human preparations have added ingredients not good for dogs.
that, and it will taste yuck!!...if u dont mind her having a bad taste in her mouth...use a very,very,very dilute mouth rinse of chlorhexidine and water for after eating
or maybe try looking online for cheaper dog alternatives.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2010, 03:40 PM
Does the dog know how to gargle and spit? If not, then don't use it.

Buy a doggy toothpaste (human stuff is dangerous for dogs) and toothbrush and use those on the dog.

Give the dog the odd raw bone to chew on to naturally clean it's own teeth.

Rope chew toys, nylabones and other chew toys also help dogs to clean their own teeth.

If the dog's mouth is in bad shape a trip to the vet for a good cleaning may be needed.

It's false economy trying to save money on oral care for your dog. If they can't eat and chew properly with bad or rotten teeth not only will this be painful for the dog on it's own, but cause other problems for the dog as well.
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2010, 05:07 PM
I was a dental nurse and still work at a dental surgery and I wouldnt recommend using it on a dog. Its a product that really should be used in moderation even in people. If your dog has gum disease, the best thing would be a scaling from the vet. Corsodyl wont cure gum disease, its used to settle symptoms and for sore mouths, healing following extractions etc. It doesnt taste to good so I would imagine most dogs would be quite upset if you put it in their mouths. Im not an expert in doggy dentistry so maybe have a word with your vet for the best course of action in treating this problem.
*SJ*
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-05-2010, 05:49 PM
You can use hydrogen peroxide 6% to brush their teeth with but obviously diluted first.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2010, 06:37 PM
Originally Posted by *SJ* View Post
You can use hydrogen peroxide 6% to brush their teeth with but obviously diluted first.
Seriously?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >