Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lmgibbs4
New Member!
Female 

11-01-2012, 03:34 AM

Dog nutrition help

Hey there!

I am a graduate student pursuing my Master's in Mass Communication at the VCU Brandcenter. In order to graduate, I need to complete an Independent Study project, and my project is focusing on dog nutrition.

I would love to hear from other dog owners about what you feed your pup(s) and how you decide on which food to buy for them. Additionally, I'm interested to see if your personal diet affects how you feed your dog. For example, do you normally purchase natural/organic food for yourself, and therefore, your dog eats natural food as well.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Mackenzie
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2012, 08:54 PM
I feed raw, have done so for over 10 years after a year's research on the subject.

I am somewhat less of a health nut myself...........
Jackalyn
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-01-2012, 07:57 AM
Is it just pups you are interested in. My dogs are adults and they eat one meal of wainwrights dog tray mixed with a little handful of dry food(currently James well beloved). Then in the evening they have a meal of raw (chicken with bones, Tripe,beef, liver, heart, eggs, veg etc) , not all at the same time.

How I feed them is either by convenience or price. For instance a lot of my meat will be bought from the supermarket as it's convenient and a lot will be bought from a supplier as it's cheeper.

My personal diet does not effect my dogs diet, if anything my dogs diet effects mine as I always have fresh meat and vegetables in my house. Obviously would not eat meat from the supplier though. I do not usually buy organic due to the cost but would prefer to really. If there is not much difference in the price then I purchase it.
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2012, 08:07 AM
My dogs and my cat all eat Arden Grange, both dry and tinned. They also have ad lib sardines, chicken wings and rib bones.

My diet has no effect on what they eat.

Note this is a UK based forum.
Darcy Boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2012, 11:28 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
I feed raw, have done so for over 10 years after a year's research on the subject.

I am somewhat less of a health nut myself...........
I,m thinking of changing to raw diet as darcy has colitis, But cannot find the super thread on raw diet, can someone help as it is horrid to see a puppy that is too thin & VERY HUNGERY all the time. The said he was not worried about darcy being thin or hungry, needless to say I am.

Hope you can help as I'm not only new to Dogsey but also VERY NEW to the computer.

From frustrated Darcy Boy.
1cutedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-01-2012, 03:11 AM
I feed my dog raw as I believe it to be the healthiest diet for her.

I would never feed what I eat to a dog as I eat rubbish most of the time.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2012, 06:57 AM
I also feed raw. My dogs change to raw ensured we eat more of a rainbow of veg and fruit
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-01-2012, 11:12 AM
I feed commercial food to my dogs, a mixture of dry and wet (both good quality). I have also fed raw in the past.

My own diet probably isn't great. I usually do eat at least one balanced meal in the evenings, eat a fair amount of veg, only eat free range/organic meat...but have a weakness for the odd takeaway, crisps, chocolate, sweets.