Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2010, 01:06 PM
Originally Posted by Tass View Post

In my experience the majority of owners have a much better familiarity and understanding of human behaviour than canine behaviour, so a human parallel example enables them to better understand the canine behaviour, and the rationale behind a behavioural modification programme, which in turn can aid owner compliance.
True. Which is why we get situations where the dog`s being sent to the equivalent of the Naughty Step for not playing nicely and sharing.
With Rescues there is no way of knowing what has caused their behaviour. However, you can see behaviour you don`t want and train alternatives.
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-11-2010, 01:30 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
True. Which is why we get situations where the dog`s being sent to the equivalent of the Naughty Step for not playing nicely and sharing.
With Rescues there is no way of knowing what has caused their behaviour. However, you can see behaviour you don`t want and train alternatives.
That wouldn't be a parallel to me because an essential part of using the naughty step for a child is a verbal explanation of why the child is required to stay there, naughty steps are not used for pre verbal children, dogs are always per verbal.

Any technique, physical or psychological, including giving human parallels to aid understanding, where appropriate, is dependent on the ability of the person using it.

Knowing what caused a behaviour is not the same as looking at what is maintaining it, which in any dog, rescue or otherwise, can have evolved from what initially triggered it.

In fact in some cases knowing the initial trigger can blinker people to looking at whether the motivation is still the same now as it was then.

Focusing on what initially caused it, which may or may not still be relevant now, is more in keeping with the human psychology use of the term "analysis", than my use of it in everyday English as meaning assessing the motivation - there will be a current motivation/positive reinforcement of some sort, behaviour doesn't happen in a vacuum and is rarely maintained without there being some sort of perceived "payoff".
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

23-11-2010, 01:30 PM
Thats interesting Tass.
I had a discussion several years ago now with a trainer about his concpet of passive dominance, The idea was a dog would dominate or control a situation by acting in a passive or submissive way.
The example given was a dog doing heel work in class who would stop wanting to co operate and demonstrate this by stopping and rolling on its back instead of lunging/pulling/biting the lead ect.

Your comment reminded me of that.

Adam
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-11-2010, 01:41 PM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post
Thats interesting Tass.
I had a discussion several years ago now with a trainer about his concpet of passive dominance, The idea was a dog would dominate or control a situation by acting in a passive or submissive way.
The example given was a dog doing heel work in class who would stop wanting to co operate and demonstrate this by stopping and rolling on its back instead of lunging/pulling/biting the lead ect.

Your comment reminded me of that.

Adam
Yes, a lay-down strike or similar can be effective passive "aggression" (to use a human term ) as very many human protesters and strikers recognise and utilise.

I have also encountered and observed it with many canine protesters with it obviously being particularly effective when used by big dogs. It can become increasingly effective for the dog if it "trains" the owner to an expectation of accepting defeat and giving up at that point.

Alternatively some dogs, who in some cases are better at training required responses than their owners are, can learn that the less compliant they are, the higher the treat ratio/payment goes up.
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2010, 03:55 PM
What would happen if another puppy or dog(or human even) went to the young staffie and started displaying the same behaviour, would it change what the staffie is doing? Have been reading this thread with interest and has got me thinking(probably not the best idea), don't mind if any one thinks is daft question Just tell me to shut up
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-11-2010, 04:06 PM
Originally Posted by k9paw View Post
What would happen if another puppy or dog(or human even) went to the young staffie and started displaying the same behaviour, would it change what the staffie is doing? Have been reading this thread with interest and has got me thinking(probably not the best idea), don't mind if any one thinks is daft question Just tell me to shut up
My guess, not having seen or met this dog, is it would try to up the ante and outdo the grovelling, but just a guess

An interesting idea, can you out pester a pest?
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2010, 04:17 PM
My guess, not having seen or met this dog, is it would try to up the ante and outdo the grovelling, but just a guess

Sorry I shouldn't laugh(it's not funny), but thinking about such a scenario
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2010, 05:09 PM

By being more pest-istent??!!
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-11-2010, 06:00 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
By being more pest-istent??!!
I'm not sure whether to groan or laugh at that
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2010, 06:31 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Personally, this sounds to me like a dog who is a "diffuser". The rank of a diffuser is to diffuse fights between the higher ranking pack members. In a wild wolf pack, the diffuser will push his or her way in between wolves who are starting to kick off, and attempt to diffuse the situation by playing the goat or drawing attention to themselves, so that they become the butt of the higher ranking, and therefore more valuable, pack members. The diffuser is not the lowest rank because they play such an important part in pack life, but they are more disposable than a higher ranking beta nanny, or beta enforcer. My daughter's Chihuahua, Gucci, is a diffuser, we describe him as "snivelling", but when Tai and Ben kick off in one of their mock spats, he grabs hold of Tai's tail and sinks his teeth into it in an attempt to diffuse the situation. Tai eventually turns on Gucci, because he hates his tail bitten rather naturally, and sends Gucci flying with a roar, which diffuses the situation. By the time Tai has returned to fighting with Ben once more, they have forgotten what they were sparring about, and the potentially dangerous situation is over.

Of course, very young dogs will bite and lick the muzzles of other dogs, both male and female, to invoke the regurgitation reflex, in order to get a free meal. This of course is not to be mistaken with "diffusing" action!
Thats what I thought.
Page 13 of 16 « First < 3 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 >