Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
PRINCESS PIGGY
New Member!
Female 

18-02-2009, 10:55 AM

Anti - Bark solutions??

We have just moved - we are now situated next to a Commercial Plant Nursery, where there are people about all day (staff). My dog has taken it on himself to bark incessantly at anyone he sees .......... this all happens when we are not at home. Luckily, it is family who own the nursery, so are very understanding - but this can't go on forever!!

When we initially moved, I purchased a D.A.P. Diffuser, which I thought would help him settle in the house - this worked. I then got him a D.A.P. Collar, hoping it would help him chill out when he was outside - NOT WORKED!!

I have looked into the Anti-bark solutions and am trying to make a decision on which one of the following to get -

Dog Silencer Pro - Stand alone unit which emits sound
Ultimate Dog Silencer Collar - emits sound
Aboistop Antibark Collar - emits spray

They all see to have good comments on the websites but i'm very sceptical about those sorts of things, so thought some of you might have real experience of using any of the above and could advise me on what you think is the best solution.

Please can you help??
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2009, 12:34 PM
mmm not sure i would use any of them really. How long has it been since you have moved? Your dog might get used to it and stop reacting to the movement.

Can you keep your dog inside when you are not there with the DAP collar on and the radio turned up to block out sounds from outside and lots of interesting things to do inside.

Does your dog need extra stimulation during the day when they are alone?

Lots of questions sorry.

The reason i don't htink i would use an anti bark collar is that, it sounds like, you won't be there to monitor it or see your dogs reaction. It might also be set off by other noises other than barking and spray your dog for doing nothing.

To really solve the problem it needs to be a long term solution looking and reasons to barking etc otherwise you will get a dog that either only barks when the collar is off, or contiunues to bark and gets sprayed a lot.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2009, 05:08 PM
This may be of some help?

http://www.defra.gov.uk/ENVIRONMENT/...rk%20collar%22

Wys
x
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2009, 06:37 PM
I wouldnt use any of those at all!

agree with catrinsparkles, I wouldnt leave a dog outside when I am not there, poor thing is getting all wound up
Better to keep him calm and in the house when you are not there and when you are there you can work on teaching him the behaviours you would like when he is outside - ie calm and quiet

Even if I was going to use one of these devices (which I neve would) I would not use it when I was not there anyway, friends of mine tried that on one of their dogs that was car chasing, only problem is the device malfunctioned and the poor girl got sprayed when she was sitting chilling, she totaly freaked out and nearly bit my friend
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2009, 07:58 PM
I once used on of these scent spray collars (hired from the vet) to stop a GSD barking incessantly when going in a friends` van. It went like this:
BARK.... pft!
wossat then?
BARK... pfft
didn`t hurt. not bovvered.
BARK BARK BARK....(five minutes later)...
oh good it`s stopped
BARK BARK BARK....
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-02-2009, 08:05 PM
Why not bring your dog indoors while you are out... this way if he cant se people coming and going, he should not bark at them.
PRINCESS PIGGY
New Member!
Female 

19-02-2009, 09:16 AM
Thanks for all responses - i'll take the advice given on board and make a decision on what to do.

Wysiwyg - thanks for the link, that was really helpful to determine the type of barker that Jack is.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2009, 06:27 PM
Originally Posted by PRINCESS PIGGY View Post
Wysiwyg - thanks for the link, that was really helpful to determine the type of barker that Jack is.
Cheers

I hope all goes well.

Wys
x
Ace_Animals
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-02-2009, 10:11 PM
Let us know how you get on - I'd be interested to hear how it goes.

Just be careful to pick a collar that is waterproof if you go down that line as I've heard of a few people acquiring ones that don't state they're waterproof only to find it has broken completely on their return home!
PRINCESS PIGGY
New Member!
Female 

08-04-2009, 10:44 AM
Just to let you know that I did buy the Dog Silencer Pro, but haven't used it!

He has settled down alot and there isn't any need for it - I think I was being a bit hasty, but was worried about neighbours complaining etc..
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >