Our sister sites
Our sister sites
CTC Network
New Member!
Male 

27-05-2004, 03:29 PM

Best Diet for a dog with kidney failure

Hi,

Was wondering what would b e the best diet, including pills (homeopathic if possible) for a dog with "cronic renal failure" as the vet so touchingly put it.

Essentially, her kidneys are failing, and as such, need a special diet, to help reduce protien loss and reduse the toxins in the body.

Any tips most welcome. . .

Robert
Dogsey Senior

27-05-2004, 07:22 PM
Hi CTC

You should do a search on google, theres loads of information there, read up on it and then go back to your vet armed with the information

I think generally a low phosophorus diet is what is needed along with quality protein, but you should be guided by your vet, if he knows what he's talking about of course. Not quite sure what homeopathic medicine you could give though.

Good Luck.
CTC Network
New Member!
Male 

27-05-2004, 08:16 PM
Hi,

I shall have a look about and post what info I get. While here, this is Judy :-

http://photo4you.co.uk/Portal/album_...&pic_id=12

Thanks. . .
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-05-2004, 08:43 PM
Burns Holistic Food is good for dogs with kidney/liver problems etc. It is a low protein and the organic is low salt.
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

27-05-2004, 09:46 PM
Great pic CTC, Hope Judy feels better soon. How old is she btw?
If I were in the same situation, I'd possibly look into a completely natural diet, if you get time why not try feeding her boiled rice with boiled chicken just to see if there are any improvements, if so then I'd definately look into a mroe natural diet. JMO
CTC Network
New Member!
Male 

27-05-2004, 11:31 PM
Hi,

Thanks for the comments :P Judy is now 14. So, she has had a "good innings" so to speak. Her son is fine, and shows no signs of old age (being 13 in August).

I have seen some mention (somewhere) that some homoeopathic treatments worked well for dogs (but I think it was for diabetes rather than kidney failure).

I must admit that the thought of only being able to sit and watch her slowly dying is not one that encourages. Having her "put down" is none to appealing either, and I am being torn between the two.

Anyway - here the two of them - same time. . .

http://photo4you.co.uk/Portal/album_...&pic_id=13

Thanks all. . .
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

27-05-2004, 11:37 PM
Yes Its tough making those decisions - whichever one you make I'm sure you'll have done the right thing by her as you know her best.
Wish you all the best.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2004, 11:42 PM
Hello.

It's terrible news isn't it. My cat Oscar was diagnosed with CRF in Dec 2003 he was 21 in 2003. But I scoured the net and books for info read and digested the data but I have not changed his diet. Why beause I figured he got to 21 had a good innings and as long as he eats something it's better than nothing.

Now he asleep at the end of my bed and has been playing "hunt the bumblebees" in the garden today.

Hope you find something that works for you.
Karen
CTC Network
New Member!
Male 

27-05-2004, 11:44 PM
Hi,

Thanks. Just found this interesting bit of info :-
Originally Posted by dogclub.co.uk
* Major organs like the liver and kidneys may start to work less efficiently. Liver and kidney conditions should always be investigated by your vet. However Kidney tablets along with Greenleaf tablets can help with kidney problems. Denex tablets are excellent for liver problems. Along with a healthy diet these remedies can be of great nergy, as he is not as active, so he will need a food with a carefully balanced amount of fat and calories so that he does not put on weight. The dog's diet will also need to contain additional vitamins and minerals that act as antioxidants. Any change in diet should be introduced gradually to avoid diarrhoea. The dog may find it easier to eat several small meals over the course of the day.
Looks like I'm shopping tomorrow!
21! - Now that is not uncommon in well looked after cats . . Well done
Judy has already lost weight/muscle. . . so low Phosphorus foot and pills!
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2004, 11:49 PM
In that case move on there is something you can get from USA for cats with CRF try trying in CRF cats in goggle and something should come up. Not sure if it works for dogs though.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, this is close to home for me.

God Bless Karen
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >