Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Clue1e55
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-08-2004, 11:32 AM

Chicken Wings V Burns

Yuk yuk yuk
I decided to try my girls on some chicken wings, after all this is supposed to be real good for them. I gave then all two each, within two hours two had been sick. and three days later im still trying to settle their tummys.
What did i do wrong? Im not impressed and i dont think they will ever even get a sniff of raw meat again.
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2004, 12:57 PM
i know what you mean i got scrump a raw bone the other week, his tummy was awful, its taken until now to get back to normal!

I dont think you did anything wrong, its just a shock to the system,, think of it like changing their dog food suddenly, they will have an upset tummy.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2004, 02:16 PM
tryed the chic wing diet and i have to say the dogs loved it but the sound of crunching bones gave me nightmares ....
Barbara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2004, 04:17 AM
It's very unsafe to give raw chicken bones and I don't care what anybody says. The bones even raw can splinter and cause some serious problems, not to mention parasites/worms, salmonella, etc. I cook my dogs meat, it's for the best IMO. If you use a pressure cooker, or even boil chicken wings/legs for 4 or 5 hours, the bones will crumble in your fingers and then they are safe. Plus all parasites are dead.

I read so much good about the raw diet that I tried it and Savannah got sick and threw up HUGE chunks of bone. After that I started reading up more on it and found too many cons than pro's
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

08-08-2004, 12:56 PM
I agree with Babs.. the manufacture of 'food' these days is so messed up (Routine antibitics, steroids and growth hormones etc) I would definately not risk feeding it. If we were back in the old days when everything was 'natural' then I would consider it
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2004, 02:21 PM
I have joined a danish forum about barf feeding, but I don't dare to try it. Because of the bones.

I'm so scared of her getting hurt.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-08-2004, 03:52 PM
Originally Posted by Barbara
It's very unsafe to give raw chicken bones and I don't care what anybody says. (
Yes I agree Barbara when I belonged to Cantankerous Dogpeople I read all the posts with interest and although the wings may be good for dogs I would not want to introduce what may be contaminated food into my house or onto my dog or floors where children may go. A large proportion of hens are contaminated wth salmonella, many battery hens were dosed with large amounts of antibiotics. I do not eat chicken myself, :smt078 yuk only free range chickens (for others to eat) are allowed into my house and I view those with suspicion and treat them as contaminated. Yes I am very fussy
Barbara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2004, 05:24 AM
Yes Minihaha, your points are very valid. Not to mention if the dog licks your face after consuming raw meat :smt078 . What people don't realize is that dogs do get salmonella and other sicknesses that people say dogs can't get. I found tons of this when doing a search on the cons of barf diets. There's a lot of scary information out there and many pets have died from that diet. I'd rather be safe than sorry.
liberty
Dogsey Senior

09-08-2004, 10:23 AM
I tried giving Libby chicken wings as a treat, she loved them and suffered no ill-effects; but I was always worried about a bone puncturing something internally etc so I stopped.

libs
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2004, 10:53 AM
My 5 have chicken wings every day!! I must admit though, I do give them a good bashing before offering them to the dogs, the first time my Rosie ate one, she scoffed it down in seconds then went very pale, gums white..... she actually had the whoe wing (complete) stuck in her throat, I had to 'go in' and pull it out, frightened us both, so from then on I always make sure there aren't any 'whole' bones to get stuck.

No problems since and they love them! It was my vet that recommended me feeding them
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >