View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2004, 08:35 PM

Do I let dinner stay out or move away when Luna not eatin?

Hi guys

As a lot of you probablely have read else where, Luna isn't really eating very well these days.

I'm just wondering. Should I let her (dry) food stand out or should I remove after a certain amount of time?

Jeanette
Robert
Dogsey Senior

24-07-2004, 08:38 PM
Hi Jeanette,

The advice I was given when Heidi was being picky was to leave the food for no more then 15 minutes, then remove it and replace it at the next meal, again for only 15 minutes, she soon learnt to eat it when it was first put down.
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2004, 08:49 PM
Hi Robert

Thanx. I'll just go and take away the bowl then
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-07-2004, 01:21 AM
I second Robert's advice & do not feed her anything at all between mealtimes until she is eating properly. Also, do not try to tempt her to eat by adding special tidbits to her normal rations otherwise you might create a very picky eater.
Barbara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2004, 05:57 AM
I can vouch for Shadowboxers advice. When I brought Savannah home she wasn't a big eater so I started adding things. If she didn't touch it, I would add something even better, until finally it enticed her. Well sometimes I have to add 4 or 5 things until she eats now It's funny, like serving the queen or something.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2004, 06:04 AM
Sorry I may have missed this info, is Bela sick or in whelp and am I correct in thinking she is a Lab?
Meg
Supervisor

25-07-2004, 11:26 AM
Originally Posted by bellaluna
Hi guys
As a lot of you probablely have read else where, Luna isn't really eating very well these days.
I'm just wondering. Should I let her (dry) food stand out or should I remove after a certain amount of time?
Jeanette
Jeanette as the others say I would not leave the food down, if you do Luna will get tired of having it around and will not eat,(think of having your dinner on the table all the time yuk). It is my guess the moving and false pregnancy have upset Luna's routine.I would keep a close eye on her for any health problems as well but think when she has settled better in her new home she will eat again, also if you get her tired (leaving alone thread) she may eat better Keep us posted and I do hope things are better soon, all this must be a big worry for you
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2004, 11:36 AM
Hi all

Thanx for all comments and advice. I'll start comments from the beginning :

SB:
Well I use some of her food in the kongs and she has some chewing bones, but else she doesn't get anything between meals.
Should I still give her the kongs? (re: alone home thread)

Barbara:
I don't give her anything else, even if I have been tempted

Thordell:

Luna has had a false pregnancy and we moved at the same time, and yes she is a labrador

Minihaha:
She's bouncing about as a little puppy and I keep an eye on her weight. And have been around the vet last saturday and yesterday. He says she's fine, just don't like eating much these days. But as long as she drinks he's happy.

Thanks again guys, will remove bowl after 15 min if she doesn't eat.

Jeanette
Barbara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2004, 05:54 AM
I wonder if the Kongs during the day are making her less hungry at meal time?
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

26-07-2004, 06:28 AM
If you are using part of her food ration in the Kongs and not extras she should still want her meals but I agree, they could be blunting her appetite. Perhaps, instead of filling the Kongs with solid food, you could smear peanut butter on the inside of them. That should still keep her occupied without filling her up.

This is all very odd - worrying about a LAB that isn't eating properly. Usually it is the other way around -can't stop them eating.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >