Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
annspot80
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-01-2010, 10:19 AM

Yes to Nylabones?

Hi everyone, i haven't posted on here for ages, dougal has kept me busy lol. I bought him a nylabone for him to chew on, i bought the small one first according to the weight of the dog. Then i went to the next size up as he has put weight on, and now he seems to choke on it - not all the time - but i was a little worried that he was eating it. He really chews the ends, so it is quite hard to see if he has eaten any. Can you tell me if it is safe for him to still have it if he continues to to do this, as idon't want him swallowing anything he shouldn't - he is a dally and they have sensitive stomachs.
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-01-2010, 10:41 AM
Perhaps he needs the next one up? They are made in different strenghts as well as sizes. I am sure mine had the odd 'chew off' as pups before upgrading and have been fine
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-01-2010, 11:19 AM
Hi Ann I use Nylabones and have one from when Amy was a puppy 18 years ago, it is still as good as new, maybe they were harder then

When the ones I buy now get to the stage of having bits falling off I discard them and buy a new one. I think it is also a good idea to buy the largest size that your puppy can mange.
Labman
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

07-01-2010, 12:35 PM
Are you giving him a regular one or the consumable ones? I don't give my dogs any of the consumable chews. They can gnaw them down to the dangerous point too quickly.

If you are giving him an appropriately sized regular Nylabone, nothing should come off but small shreds that can safely be ingested. They do slowly wear down and must be discarded when they are too small. We put up the nubbins, and bring them out for the next puppy.

Our daughter was disappointed with what she was finding in the baby department, so she bought her son a small Nylabone ring. It was a real struggle keeping him and the puppies from sharing chew toys.
annspot80
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-01-2010, 10:39 AM
Thank you all for your advice, and i think i willl try him on the next size up.