Our sister sites
Our sister sites
phil2009
Dogsey Junior
Male 

12-02-2009, 10:35 AM

denta stix

hi all
can u give a 18week old border collie denta stix or not iv been told no by a friend but want to see what u all think about them.
Fred&Mya'smum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2009, 10:53 AM
Hiya, I'm not sure if they are ok for puppies but all dentastix seem to give my 2 the trots unfortunately
phil2009
Dogsey Junior
Male 

12-02-2009, 11:11 AM
Originally Posted by Fred&Mya'smum View Post
Hiya, I'm not sure if they are ok for puppies but all dentastix seem to give my 2 the trots unfortunately
o ok thanks for ur reply.
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

12-02-2009, 11:31 AM
Don't think they are meant for small sharp puppy teeth only for adult teeth, to help remove the plaque.
Fred&Mya'smum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2009, 11:46 AM
Mya used to love whole frozen carrots as a pup, in fact she still does, gives them something healthy to chew on, just messy orange bits all over the floor
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2009, 12:22 PM
We gave Monty one just before he was 4 months old - think the packet says puppies should be 4 months - and he threw it back up about an hour later! Haven't chanced it again since.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2009, 12:48 PM
I wouldn't really, like others have said it might give them the squits.

I used to use strips of chicken that i dry roasted for Tonks, also nylabones (you can get ones with little bits of chicken in them as well as edible ones).....i think i also used tripe sticks now and again......but not sure.

We also used to use these molded chews which were shaped like different animals (crocodiles etc) they were edible.....but took at lot of munching on for little teeth to get any bits off.

I remember it being really hard to find treats and chews that you can use for very young puppies.....toilet rolls and cereal boxes are always good fun! Also, like someone else has said, raw or frozen veg.....we used carrots, apples, bananas etc. Tonks still adores all fruit and veg....especially bananas.
grommit
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2009, 07:03 PM
Just logged on so i could post a thread asking what people thought of denta stix.... and found this already on here!!!

Our dogs love them, No squishy bellies here!
I just wondered what people thought of their effectiveness. Will be keeping my eye on this thread!
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

12-02-2009, 07:15 PM
Mine are fine with thrm too.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2009, 09:11 PM
I think they are a waste of money personally. The one time I got them my dog ate it in about 2 seconds flat, so I can't imagine it did much if anything for his teeth.

I'd rather pay next to nothing for some raw bones that I know will actually do the job and keep him occupied for hours.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >