Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
wuffy
New Member!
Male 

18-09-2014, 06:39 AM

My dog has bad breath any solutions?

Hi guys, I have a 5 year old Rottweiler and noticed bad breath do you have product that you use for this?
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-09-2014, 07:57 AM
What are you feeding your dog? Most cases of bad breath come from the type of food you feed or rotten teeth. Have you had a look in your dog's mouth recently to check?
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2014, 07:59 AM
You can get doggy tooth paste. May be worth a try cleaning his teeth.
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-09-2014, 09:49 AM
Charcoal biscuits
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-09-2014, 10:30 AM
Originally Posted by tumbleweed View Post
Charcoal biscuits
I thought that charcoal biscuits help with gas/wind - do they also help with bad breath?

When Little One had bad breath it was due to necessary dental work - first a good descaling and later, as she had gotten older, due to some bad teeth that needed extracting even though I brushed her teeth about twice a week and she was fed on a good kibble. Unfortunately she was born with a pre-disposition to bad teeth due to her dam only being fed on scraps, running out of milk when the puppies were only three-weeks-old, when they were weaned on stale bread soaked in half milk and half water, then onto table scraps.

Pereg is raw fed and at over 5½ years old her breath has no odour at all.
wuffy
New Member!
Male 

05-11-2014, 12:05 AM
hi guys, my brother sent me this product called -- Oxyfresh and it worked great so I ordered more online. Not sure if I can post the link here but you can google it and I think it's called Oxystore. They have products for owners as well which I think is awesome.

Been out the whole month. Thanks for the post
Wolfwitch
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-11-2014, 02:05 PM
The most common cause for bad breath is plaque build up on your dog's teeth , assuming there's no tooth decay or bad diet issues.
It's a common misconception that dry food will prevent the build-up of plaque, but its the sugar content in the food that causes plaque and tartar build-up, just like with people.
This is why dogs fed on a high-protein / low carb diet (AKA raw diet like Malka mentioned) tend to have a lot less of this.

I'd make sure to have the vet check out the teeth and other things to identify the underlying cause before resulting to a symptomatic treatment