Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2012, 03:50 PM

Bites!

Can anyone recommend anything?? Been eaten alive out walkies today, Kiara lost her ball so I went through the long grass looking for it in 3/4 jeans !!!

The back of my ankle has swollen up like a golf ball as has the lower part of my other leg And I won't mention the one on my bum I put some Antihistamine cream on and have been taking Piriton but they don't seem to be going down and are getting more itchy

I got bitten last year and ended up at the emergency Dr's as my knee swelled so bad I couldn't bend it ended up on antibiotics Same area as these bites, so there's obviously something on there that doesn't agree with me - I don't really want to bother the Dr's unless it gets any worse, so any help would be greatly appreciated
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2012, 03:54 PM
Jungle Formula superb, when I took this to Botswana with me I was the only person not to get bitten.

I have really bad reactions to bites.

If you are looking for help AFTER you have been bitten, then Aloe Vera Gel, very cooling and soothing.
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2012, 04:09 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Jungle Formula superb, when I took this to Botswana with me I was the only person not to get bitten.

I have really bad reactions to bites.

If you are looking for help AFTER you have been bitten, then Aloe Vera Gel, very cooling and soothing.

Now why didn't I think of that Got some in the fridge
Thanks
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2012, 04:32 PM
Not found anything that works for me as yet beforehand but aloe vera gel has been great for afterwards.

OH and I react badly to being bitten
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2012, 07:34 PM
I react badly too. One year in Portugal my legs and fingers were bitten so badly, it reduced me to tears.

Then they went septic and I couldn't wait to get back to my docs for some anti-biotics.

I still have scarring on my legs from that little visit.....

I always take antihistamine for two weeks prior and during the holiday - it does help

Not sure if this is much good for you, Leanne, as I don't think you would be able to take them long term? Apart from the fact that they cost a fortune.

I would be at the docs getting something that can sort you out pronto.

Hugs hon xx
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2012, 08:23 PM
Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
I react badly too. One year in Portugal my legs and fingers were bitten so badly, it reduced me to tears.

Then they went septic and I couldn't wait to get back to my docs for some anti-biotics.

I still have scarring on my legs from that little visit.....

I always take antihistamine for two weeks prior and during the holiday - it does help

Not sure if this is much good for you, Leanne, as I don't think you would be able to take them long term? Apart from the fact that they cost a fortune.

I would be at the docs getting something that can sort you out pronto.

Hugs hon xx
Thanks.
I'm definatley going to have to ring docs in the morning - my ankles now so swollen I can't actually bend it and really painful to boot as is the claf on my other leg Bl**dy nasty pesky bitey things
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2012, 08:49 PM
Were you walking near a river or lake or any water?

There is a resurgence of a fly which frequents areas near water, ........it was a problem last year and it is back. You may well need treatment from a doctor because the bites from this fly are very nasty.

Just googled it, it's called the Blandford Fly, and it causes swelling of the lower legs etc., and the bites are often followed by a painful secondary infection. Hope that is not what had a meal from you
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2012, 08:56 PM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
Were you walking near a river or lake or any water?

There is a resurgence of a fly which frequents areas near water, ........it was a problem last year and it is back. You may well need treatment from a doctor because the bites from this fly are very nasty.

Just googled it, it's called the Blandford Fly, and it causes swelling of the lower legs etc., and the bites are often followed by a painful secondary infection. Hope that is not what had a meal from you
Yeah I was, it's an old coal pit that's been turned into a nature reserve and there's a lake but because of all the rain the whole place was a bit boggy I saw what looked like a small mosquito on my leg but that's not to say it was one that had breakfast on me
Thank God my leg hasn't turned out like the google image of that woman I'd poo myself
I can deal with the constant ache but the burning itch grrrrrrr it's driving me mad
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2012, 09:41 PM
This is what my right ankle looks like

I've 2 more bites similar to this on my left thigh and one on my right thigh

And my left ankle - You can't actually see the bite mark as it's swollen so much but you can see the swelling on the side, it's swollen just as much on the back too - photo's just not picking it up

I had such shapley ankles too
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2012, 10:01 PM
Oh heck, that looks horrible!!!

I would imagine that the priority tonight is to stop yourself from scratching and breaking the skin. If creams don't work, try a big slug of brandy!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >