View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2011, 12:05 AM
There is a charity called DogAID (Aid standing for "assistance in disbility"). Zane has been through their training. There are 3 phases of it altogether and they help you to train yuor own dog in certain areas so that the dog can wear a hi-viz vest. The vest states thatthe animals is an assistance dog and he/she can then go into shops and anywhere else any other type of assistance dog can go.

Unfortunately Zane grumbled when he went for his vet assessment so was labelled as agressive (which he isn't bu thte vet had to write on the form what he felt at the time).

As a result of this Zane isn't allowed to wear the vest etc and I can't take him into shops; although he can turn the lights on and off for me, he can fetch the phone when it rings, he can open the washing machine and so on when my leg is paying up to the poin tthat I am unable to do these things.

Of course the training is extremely repetitive and even though he's now done it, I do tell him to do certain things so that he doesn't forget. I don't always wait until my leg is bad enough so that I am unable to do things for myself.
Zane finished the training a couple of years ago and although I havn't pushed for him to do much since then, we do practice (sort of).

But this is another option. People can have help to train their own pet dogs to a specified level in their own time at their own pace which means they don't have to go onto a waiting list.

It isn't breed specific. Obviously for someone with a physical disability, a larger breed is easier to work with because when it comes to putting on the lights in the living room, for example, a dog of Zane's size can easilt jump up and hit the light switch with his paw. A small dog would have difficulty in achieving this although for people who suffer from mental health problems, this may not be an issue.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2011, 08:36 AM
Can I add a bit about the other side of this.

I have personally rehomed two dogs who were aquired because a doctor told someone with a mental health issue to get a dog to help them get out etc. Trip who belongs to Tassle was another one.

It needs an amount of committment and a lot of energy to have a dog and some doctors simply don't think!

If someone is already a dog owner and knows what it involves then it is different.

rune
natty01
New Member!
Female 

07-11-2011, 10:30 AM
Originally Posted by Stumpywop View Post
There is a charity called DogAID (Aid standing for "assistance in disbility"). Zane has been through their training. There are 3 phases of it altogether and they help you to train yuor own dog in certain areas so that the dog can wear a hi-viz vest. The vest states thatthe animals is an assistance dog and he/she can then go into shops and anywhere else any other type of assistance dog can go.

Unfortunately Zane grumbled when he went for his vet assessment so was labelled as agressive (which he isn't bu thte vet had to write on the form what he felt at the time).

As a result of this Zane isn't allowed to wear the vest etc and I can't take him into shops; although he can turn the lights on and off for me, he can fetch the phone when it rings, he can open the washing machine and so on when my leg is paying up to the poin tthat I am unable to do these things.

Of course the training is extremely repetitive and even though he's now done it, I do tell him to do certain things so that he doesn't forget. I don't always wait until my leg is bad enough so that I am unable to do things for myself.
Zane finished the training a couple of years ago and although I havn't pushed for him to do much since then, we do practice (sort of).

But this is another option. People can have help to train their own pet dogs to a specified level in their own time at their own pace which means they don't have to go onto a waiting list.

It isn't breed specific. Obviously for someone with a physical disability, a larger breed is easier to work with because when it comes to putting on the lights in the living room, for example, a dog of Zane's size can easilt jump up and hit the light switch with his paw. A small dog would have difficulty in achieving this although for people who suffer from mental health problems, this may not be an issue.
as far as i am aware dogaid dont help people with mental health problems.
too bad about your dog zane.
size is important , you have to balance the need for excersise with the need for stamina also some people will need the security of a larger breed , then you have to be carefull not too go too large or there are issues there as well .

touch lamps that you can stick on the wall are one way to get over the dog not being able to reach a lightswitch .
MHADogs-UK
New Member!
Female 

26-02-2012, 06:02 PM
Hi Everyone

I have just found your posts here on the forum by chance and would like to introduce you to our MENTAL HEALTH ASSISTANCE DOG PROGRAMME here in the UK.

We have spent several years hitting the preverbial brick wall with other organisations, which is why we have got together and formed.

I hope some of you stop by and have a look maybe even join our web page members

If you would like details of the organisation please in box me directly

I look forward to taking with some of you and maybe also training with you.

MHADogs- Mental Health Assistance Dogs Programme
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2012, 07:05 PM
Hi
a good idea. I regularly meet a guy who walks his (MH) Care Home`s dog - a dear little soul who is obviously much loved.
My own son had his own dog, who was a great help to him, providing him with a way to get fresh air and exercise and to meet new people.
Why not start a thread yourself about your aims?
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4