Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
katie1
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-08-2010, 10:38 PM
Originally Posted by Sophie* View Post
I'm 20 and I suffer from bipolar disorder, amongst another mental health problems. The best decision I ever made was to get Oscar. Do I want to get out of bed for me? Hell no but I'll do it for Oscar. I used to go days, even weeks on end, never even leaving the house. Now, I get out every single day. I'm up, I'm out of bed, I'm dressed and I take my dog for a walk. I get fresh air and exercise, which is proven to help with depression. It also encourages me to interact with other members of the human race i.e. when people stop to ask what breed Oscar is. I've had a lot of therapy, a lot of psychiatric treatment, several hospitalisations, tried numerous medications but nothing has helped me the way having Oscar does. He is my reason for being.
you are an inspiration
well done you sound like you have come so far .I also suffer from Anxiety and my dogs have given me a new look on life
Stumpeth
New Member!
Male 

24-05-2011, 03:21 PM
Hiya folks

I know this is an older thread but it is a subject that has recently become close to my heart due to depression and anxiety problems.
My anxiety prevents me from leaving my home unless accompanied by a trusted friend or family member. I have recently discovered however, that I can cope with going out with a dog as well, obviously this needs to be a dog I have some form of bond with and not just any random dog and while it does not completely relieve my anxieties at the moment due to limited attempts as I don't currently have my own dog I believe this is something that can only get better with time and consistency.
The reason I'm posting this is I'm looking for any newer updated information regarding the apparent lack of recognition regarding psychiatric & mental health support/assistance dogs.
I'm am currently contacting DfD - Dogs for Depression and speaking to several of the established assistance dog registration charites. I have also been advised of and found mentions of the Wilby Campaign report but have been unable to find any details regarding the campain itself or the report apart from and outdated URL (tinyurl.com/cxovrn) mentioned in news reports.
Any information than can help me campaign/lobby on the issue or that can help me find existing groups I may be able to support and lend my assistance to would be great.

Cheers

Dan
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2011, 03:58 PM
Hi Dan, Im really glad that dogs are helping you to be able to go out, don't know what would do without my little dog who has helped enormously. I tried to find out about dogs being trained for people with non physical health conditions not long ago without much success. Well done for all the research and contacts you've made so far, I too would be happy and interested to join any campaigns that might make it possible, will have another look to see if can find any more updated information.
Best wishes
H.
Stumpeth
New Member!
Male 

24-05-2011, 04:26 PM
Thanks H

Any info or support anyone can give will be most appreciated and anything I find from other avenues I will post here too. I personaly think it's despicable the lack of recognition/support given to issues like this and I believe it borders on discrimination that mental impairments is seen as less important than physical ones.
If anyone wants to join me and help in this 'campaign' please just let me know.

Dan
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2011, 04:44 PM
http://www.assistancedogs.org.uk/about.htm

Have you contacted Dogs for the Disabled and Support Dogs as both these charities provide/train dogs for other than physical disabilities.
Stumpeth
New Member!
Male 

24-05-2011, 05:20 PM
Hi Smokey, thanks for your reply.

I have already spoken with AD-UK on the phone and I'm currently in the process of contacting around 24 other charities and organisations regarding this info and my next round of communications will be with support dog groups. Your input is great though and I appreciate any help someone can give.

Dan
Miamine
New Member!
Female 

06-11-2011, 04:30 PM
Hello everyone, Now there is a new assistance dog group 'Hounds for Heroes' I really cannot see why assistance dogs for Agoraphobics or similarly mental impaired people cannot be started.

Or is there such a group since this original post, does anyone know?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-11-2011, 07:51 PM
Why not contact SCAS?

http://www.scas.org.uk/
natty01
New Member!
Female 

06-11-2011, 09:43 PM
its criminal that its not been done already . its such a waste of an oppurtunity for people with mental health problems to get the daily help they need . im all for an organisation that would help people with there dogs or maybe train them and then place them .
it just needs to be set up by the right person , someone who truly understands what its like to have these problems .

hello benzmum and lottie
natty01
New Member!
Female 

06-11-2011, 09:45 PM
Originally Posted by Stumpeth View Post
Thanks H

Any info or support anyone can give will be most appreciated and anything I find from other avenues I will post here too. I personaly think it's despicable the lack of recognition/support given to issues like this and I believe it borders on discrimination that mental impairments is seen as less important than physical ones.
If anyone wants to join me and help in this 'campaign' please just let me know.

Dan
here here count me in
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >