View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2009, 02:01 PM
I wonder if a celldog program like in America where longterm prison inmates train these types of dogs could be undertaken over here.

I'm genuinly suprised that this hasn't been taken more seriously by relivant organisations and has not been implomented yet, as I thought it was scientifically accepted that animals have emotional benafits to humans.
chin_wag
New Member!
Female 

07-02-2009, 04:32 PM
I believe Support Dogs have trained assistance dogs for agoraphobics in the past. I can't see it mentioned on their new website but they may be open to suggestion.

Nice to see that they do train seizure alert and autism assistance dogs however.

http://www.support-dogs.org.uk/
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2009, 04:34 PM
Originally Posted by chin_wag View Post
I believe Support Dogs have trained assistance dogs for agoraphobics in the past. I can't see it mentioned on their new website but they may be open to suggestion.

Nice to see that they do train seizure alert and autism assistance dogs however.

http://www.support-dogs.org.uk/
Brilliant Link - Thanks
Sophie*
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-03-2009, 01:36 PM
I'm 20 and I suffer from bipolar disorder, amongst another mental health problems. The best decision I ever made was to get Oscar. Do I want to get out of bed for me? Hell no but I'll do it for Oscar. I used to go days, even weeks on end, never even leaving the house. Now, I get out every single day. I'm up, I'm out of bed, I'm dressed and I take my dog for a walk. I get fresh air and exercise, which is proven to help with depression. It also encourages me to interact with other members of the human race i.e. when people stop to ask what breed Oscar is. I've had a lot of therapy, a lot of psychiatric treatment, several hospitalisations, tried numerous medications but nothing has helped me the way having Oscar does. He is my reason for being.
t1ger1977
New Member!
Female 

22-03-2010, 03:17 PM
I came across this forum whilst trying to find out about assistance dogs for anxiety as I suffer with server anxiety and often have problems leaving the house. The only time I feel the most comfortable is with my Beagle by my side.

I came across this which might be of interest
http://www.canineassistants.org/lear..._our_dogs.html
Why can't we have something like this in the UK, companion dogs!
sandrine75
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-03-2010, 01:12 PM
On top of having a personality disorder, I suffer from depression. When I had my previous dog Buster, he really helped me has I had to get out of the house and look after him.
Same with El Vez, by looking after him, I look after myself.

I grew up in France where you can take your dog anywhere apart from food shops so it was quite a difference when I moved to the UK.
When I am in a really bad way I need the dog to be with me when I am out and about as he is like my safety blanket, he is with me, I am safe.
With regards to shopping with him, I found that small independent shops were always happy to see us (I once got refused into a sports chain shop when we were going in to buy him a rugby ball, despite there being no signs that dogs were not admitted), the independent sports shop down the street were happy to have us in (and I ended up buying more rugby balls as a result). El Vez is now a regular visitor to my local bookshop where he has a cuddle with the owners while I browse (I saw a movie there with him yesterday).
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2010, 03:58 PM
Contact dog aid.They assess dogs trained by their owners andf they are then allowed in shops etc .

I am sure some local APDT trainer could help you train.

rune
Pen&Cassie
New Member!
Female 

11-08-2010, 10:24 AM
I contacted Dog Aid and their response was.
"Unfortunately we at DogAID are limited to clients with physical disabilities only.Furthermore we do not accept dogs over 5 years of age as our training programme can take up to two years or more to complete.

At the moment in this country I am not aware of any Assistance Dog group which could help you, but hopefully in the future there will be some provision for those with mental issues."

So until there is a change in the view of people with mental issues and someone starts a charity for this then the role of dogs of helping us with mental issues will not be recognised.
Aligord
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-08-2010, 08:30 PM
I may well try contacting Support Dogs to see what they do in this area and if they would be willing to look into it. I may also try Dogs for the Disabled and Canine Partners.

When I lived in Essex my Social Worker at the time (through the CMHT) was trying to get local Social Services to fund a pilot project regarding Assistance Dogs for people with Mental Health Problems and I was going to be her first pilot person. Sadly the department refused to fund it and the best she could get off the ground at the time was a Dog walking group. I know we had meetings about progressing it, but then I was ill, and then had a CPN instead and I have no idea where it went.

I wonder if she still works in that locality and if I could find her if she does and see if it ever got any further? That's another thing to look at.

Hmm, I can see a project getting going here, and then maybe, if no one else can/will help with assistance dogs for mental health issues then we should consider starting a charity of our own - maybe MIND or someone would like to assist. Hmm, my brain is really working overtime now!
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2010, 07:58 PM
Hello,

I suffer from PTSD including panic attacks and Felix is an absolute lifeline for me. He recognises panic attacks before they start and will put himself between me and other people in a totally non-aggressive way. Our only social activities are dog related ones, training classes and shows etc. and though my confidence isn't brilliant it is much improved by having any of the dogs with me .

With a letter of support from my Doctor (who will let Felix accompany me to the surgery if needed), and also various training 'certificates' ie. PAT, Good Citizens, Obedience competition places. The University i'm starting in October have agreed to let him accompany me on campus if i'm having a 'bad' day. I haven't put the name of the University as they've asked me not to 'advertise' it as it is a special arrangement and not a standard one. They stressed they have only agreed due to Felix being very calm and well-behaved, the really great letter my Dr wrote and my previous exam results - plus the fact i'm doing a distant learning degree so will only be on campus maybe once a fortnight! I have to get him a jacket made up so people know why he is there.

Of course he's not allowed into supermarkets etc. but if i'm not upto visiting those places then I don't 'need' to go. Whereas attendance at Uni is kind of necessary if I want to pass the course!

We also have some local shops that are happy for dogs to go in if you explain the circumastances.

Hazel x
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >