Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Cumbrian Lass
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2006, 07:32 PM

Introducing some of our 'Long Termers'

The 'Long Termers' as I call them, are dogs that are illegal for us to rehome due to the DD Act. These are dogs who through whatever reason have at some point in their lifetime attacked a human and instead of being handed into the vet to be destroyed, were handed to Animal Concern Cumbria.

Animal Concern has a non put to sleep policy unless a veterinary surgeon states that it is in the interests of the dogs quality of life that it should be destroyed..

All these dogs have been rehabilitated, but since they have committed the 'crime' they do not get a reprieve and the law states that they will always be guilty.

Now this blog is not for the use of debate on the subject as the forum has a section to deal with that, but its my own personal feelings towards a few dogs that I have grown to love and admire throughout my time with Animal Concern Cumbria.

Ok, so thats the formalities and why they are here, so now lets see them:

First of all is Jack

As you can see, he is a bluemerle collie. Jack has been at the kennels for quite some time. He happily sits and gives paw for treats and he has one of the best recalls I've ever had the pleasure in witnessing. He adores playing with his cuddly toys and will happily play with them for hours on end and leave them intact! Over the years, Jack has become one of my favourites and we have bonded considerably. Most of the other volunteers love Jack as do I, and at times he does get a little spoilt.

This was taken on one of our trips to the beach. Jack was an angel in the car and the whole time we were at the beach.

He loved foraging for a new stone..

Happy - wind blowing past his ears, miles of open coastline and a stone in his mouth.. totally content!

Spider & Coco

Spider is a Border Collie and Coco is a greyhound.
These two are very closely bonded and where one goes, the other follows.

Gorgeous Coco:

Coco to my knowledge has never hurt a human in her life, but she does have a taste for cats. Spider on the other hand has bitten and generally attacks your feet (hence I wear steel toe caps). I have watched these two adorable dogs grow old, and in recent months I dread going down to the kennels for fear that one of them may have passed over the bridge. Spider in particular had little trust for most people, but we seemed to bond almost instantly. He just needed someone to show firmness and kindness.

Coco, is just a sweet gentle old girl who loves her kisses and cuddles and will happily lie there whilst you tickle her belly. She doesn't like to play like spider, but enjoys her on lead runs (I run with her on a lunge line). In recent months however, arthritis has started to set in and so we tend to just go on frequent short walks now.

Earlier last year, I was still able to get them both into the boot of my car to take them to the beach. Now however, Spiders back legs are just too stiff to enable him to get into the boot (and I am not putting myself at risk, by putting him so close to me in the back).
We still enjoy our walks though and the occasional throw and catch of the ball.

Here are some pictures taken shortly after Spider had been to the groomers, and it was also the last time I managed to get him to the beach...

Look at those ears!!!! (cutie)

He may be gettting on a bit, but he still has a loving smile

Inseperable!

About 3 months ago, I managed to get spider into the car. We drove to the beach and I thought all was fine, until he refused to budge! 5 hours , a tin of dog food and 4 cocktail sausages later, I finally managed to get him out! Not fun, I can tell you. Everyone else thought it was hillarious, and judging by the look on spiders face whilst he was sitting there, tongue lolling out.. I'm fairly sure he was laughing too..
I finally got home at midnight that day and its certainly one I will never forget...lol
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-12-2006, 07:37 PM
Great Blog Amanda. Shame the law isn't as hard on the idiots who cause these dogs problems.
Keep up the good work
Azz
Administrator
Male 

03-12-2006, 08:13 PM
I'm sure they enjoy their time with you and all at ACC Amanda - nice blog
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-12-2006, 08:22 PM
A very moving blog again.I enjoy your blogs as they take me out of my comfort zone and make me think. Well done for all the hard work you guys do, but mmainly for all the love you give.
Axxxxx
lizziel
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-12-2006, 10:05 PM
I have often wondered what sort of life the "long termers" have so it was great to see your blog. Just wish there were more places around that could give the sort of love and care that you and your organisation give to those unlucky enough to never be rehomed for whatever reason.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-12-2006, 11:47 PM
I love the oldies, wish I could afford to buy a huge house and to have them all...
Cumbrian Lass
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2006, 12:13 AM
Thanks for your lovely comments
These 3 dogs are very special to me and if I had the facilities to take them home with me, I would do in a shot!!!!
Just have to win the lottery first!
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2006, 07:30 PM
I love the oldies too, they look like they are having fun, hugs to them all and a special one for you x
BrandieSnap
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2006, 10:18 PM
They are all gorgeous! I'm glad they have people to look after them and love them. Well done!
Cumbrian Lass
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-04-2008, 08:59 PM
It is with a very heavy heart, that I have to inform Dogseyers, Coco the greyhound is no longer with us. She has been ill for a few days now, and was believed to be 14+ years old.

Run Free Coco
X
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >