Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Muskrat
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-11-2011, 11:20 PM

Old dogs, joints and Metacam

We recently adopted a 12 year old SBTx. She's on Metacam and Glucosamine & Chondroitin for her joints and has been for a good while (she had been in rescue almost 3 years).

Obviously a lot has changed for her in the last 10 days, and we're making a real effort to get her to lose weight (she's not massively obese but she is overweight and has a lot of small lumps, as well as a couple of biggish ones, so we obviously don't want her weight contributing to the growth of these any more than we want extra strain on her joints):

I've changed her food to a higher quality senior kibble, which is fed in bowls, kongs, as training treats, scattered, etc.

She's getting more regular, longer walks. We've built her up to an hour or more on soft ground. She has no problem with long walks, but we didn't want to put too much strain on her after so long sitting around in rescue.

She's in a house with soft furnishings and heating, rather than standing on cold concrete all day.

The first few times we had her out she limped the next day, but she's not limped at all this week so we're letting her walk further each walk. She struggled with the steps up to our house at first, but races up them now.. and she has no trouble at all jumping up onto the sofa

Basically, I wondered whether the exercise and diet will continue to improve her joints and possibly make the Metacam less of a requirement (obviously we'll speak to the vet before changing her drugs if necessary, but if we can get away with not giving Metacam that would be good re: kidney health etc), or whether the long walks and impact of trotting around for a couple of hours a day is likely to make things worse over time?

A couple of people have commented/implied that she shouldn't be doing so much exercise, she should be spending her retirement resting at home with time in the garden and lots of yummy treats... but this feels really counter productive to me. She's very active for an old dog and really enjoys walks so we don't want to coop her up at home. Are we doing the right thing for her long term health?
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2011, 11:30 PM
Well done you for taking on an oldie........I am all for that

You have answered your own question really - your dog has come on in leaps and bounds (no pun intended) with the way that you are treating her, so why change anything now? As long as she enjoys her exercise, and is not in any discomfort then that's wonderful isn't it. You seem to have come so far, and it must be a delight to see the change in her.

As for the Metacam, well, our last dog was on it for years and years and it kept her pain free and mobile with no ill effects. Obviously every dog is different, and as you are keeping in touch with your vet then he/she will be able to advise you on any possible trial period off the Metacam.

Any chance of a picture or two??
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-11-2011, 11:38 PM
You can drop metacam off a bit if you think she is coping, or leave her off it for a week or so and then start it again.

I think you are doing the right thing, she will feel better for it and will enjoy the walks and fun.

rune
Muskrat
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-11-2011, 12:00 AM
Thank you for the reassurance. It's so difficult when you think you're doing the right thing and someone with many more years of dog owning comes along and disagrees with you. I'm sure once we know her limits it'll be easier..

She really does love her walks, it didn't take her long to learn/remember what humans putting wellies on means for doggies. And it only took a day or two before taking the dog out suddenly became the most important and enjoyable part of our day, it really does drastically change your life!

She has her very own photo thread here: http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=159351
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2011, 12:07 AM
She certainly looks as if she is enjoying the walks.

rune
miz66
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-11-2011, 12:46 AM
I take my hat off to you for taking on an older dog, She must benefit from living in a nice warm house instead of a kennel. Hope you have many happy years together xxx
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2011, 08:19 AM
What did the vet diagnose the dog with to prescribe Metacam? Just wondering as the exercise to give/steps to take could vary depending on what health condition is causing the pain. Hip/elbow dysplasia, arthritis, etc?
There are other supplements that could be worth looking into depending on the condition too, e.g. Devil's Claw is a natural anti-inflammatory and can help with arthritis, Green lipped mussel is one used for joint health too. Fish oils can help, e.g. salmon oil.
Swimming can be a good way to strengthen the muscles to help support weak joints without putting too much pressure on them too.
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2011, 09:08 AM
Aw i remember Emmie xxx

I think you're doing a fabulous job managing her stiff joints already, she is very lucky to have found a home with you . The vet can advise whether she can ever come off the metacam, but actually i believe you are the best person, over any vet to observe, monitor and manage her stiffness. I believe it's a big possibility you can manage it on less meds.

Our male suffers from arthritis - in the form of a mild limp in one of his front shoulders - he can't have long term meds due to his immune system being weakened now he is remission from lymphoma. So we are managing it with ALL the natural remedies and holistic therapies - devils claw, green lipped mussel, glu and chond... His kibble and wet food trays contain a few more extras in the ingredients such as oil. He's had a course of acupuncture which helped, but that did 'wear off'. Even simple things such as raised warm beds off our wooden floors, massage, and a magnotheraphy collar too. These have all gone some way to ease his stiffness.

However, the key for us, as i think you'd agree with Emmie seems to be his exercise, he misses early morning cold walks and goes out at lunchtime instead, and his evening walk can be very short depending if his limp is noticeable and how enthusiastic he is!

p.s. just to add about the over exercise, our Zeke lives for his walks and i initially felt so bad that he had to have such limited boring walks, and really questioned his quality of life initially, but now i often take him for drives out and a little potter somewhere new, even just to the next village for a little bit of a 'different' wander, or even a sit on a bench at the beach eating fish and chips with him! We even went to the Cairngorms in Scotland recently for a few nights and he never walked further than an hour each day but we got out and about all day everyday, for example one day my hubby and Keisha (our female) walked up Ben Nevis as me and Zeke sat ringside at an agricultural show at the foot of the mountain!
SusieL
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-11-2011, 09:09 AM
Lovely pics and she sounds to be doing great and loving life again. Nothing like an oldie blossoming once out of rescue kennels! Good for you....enjoy her.
Jugsmalone
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-11-2011, 09:12 AM
Hi and welcome to Dogsey. Well done for rescuing this doggy.

With regards to your post. TBH it does sound like you may be exercising your dog too long. I have an x-SBT who is also 12. He is on metacam. If I walk him for an hour, later on her is so stiff and he also limps.

His exercise regime now is 20 mins in the morning and 20 mins in the evening and I find that works well for him.

Also hydrotherapy is also very beneficial for building the muscles up to support the joints.

I think the best thing would be, next time your at the vets discuss your dogs exercise regime and they will be able to advise you what is best for your dog.

HTH
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >