View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2010, 05:18 PM
The chips migrate when they are not implanted in the right place, so many vets chip in the scruff & do not use the right technique & middle finger & thumb on the top of the shoulder blades & with the index finger pull up the skin between to make a pocket, then insert the needle & when fully in pull the trigger & then release & then pull out the needle. Then scan the chip, if the chip was half in & out it would still scan BTW

My Rjj's chip has migrated(I didn't chip him), but none of the dogs/cats I have chipped have had any migration at all
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2010, 06:59 PM
The chip can fall out within the fist day or so as the hole the needle makes is so big. Cosmo's fell out (it had been done at the breeders) and so when we asked the vet to scan and check it when he had his jabs..nothing. He was redone. The breeder covered the cost (she hadn't done the microchipping) in fairness it had happened with one of his siblings too. Our vet did say it can and does happen quite easily.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2010, 08:01 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
The chip can fall out within the fist day or so as the hole the needle makes is so big. Cosmo's fell out (it had been done at the breeders) and so when we asked the vet to scan and check it when he had his jabs..nothing. He was redone. The breeder covered the cost (she hadn't done the microchipping) in fairness it had happened with one of his siblings too. Our vet did say it can and does happen quite easily.
How did you know that the chip had come out of your dog within the first 24 hours ? As he wasn't the only one then the microchipper is definitely at fault

The chip is pushed out over over an inch by the trigger & if the trigger is not released whilst the needle is fully under the skin, then the chip is not fully pushed out & this is when the chip can come back out or like the OP partially pulled out. There is no way if the chip is correctly implanted that it would come straight out.

The vet must rechip the dog for free.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2010, 11:47 PM
i would be annoyed too! poor alfie having to go back and get it redone.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2010, 08:07 AM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
How did you know that the chip had come out of your dog within the first 24 hours ? As he wasn't the only one then the microchipper is definitely at fault

The chip is pushed out over over an inch by the trigger & if the trigger is not released whilst the needle is fully under the skin, then the chip is not fully pushed out & this is when the chip can come back out or like the OP partially pulled out. There is no way if the chip is correctly implanted that it would come straight out.

The vet must rechip the dog for free.
I don't know I wasn't there...I had an indepth chat with the vet about it.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2010, 08:27 AM
Common to move, but not to come out! Thats why i use a micro chipper not a vet!!!!!
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2010, 08:39 AM
The one the microchipper did for Cosmo fell out...the one the vet did is still in place.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2010, 09:04 AM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
The one the microchipper did for Cosmo fell out...the one the vet did is still in place.

Oh there you are then!!!!!!!

There are no rules!!!!!

A slightly off topic Microchip story!!

My friend had her 10yrold dogs microchip scanned routinely last year & it had gone! on further investigation it hadnt gone but had snapped in half & on further investigation the vertibre it was over was completly out of place. We suspect he banged himself mis timing going under a fence at collie speed or similar.

Anyway it lead to further back investigation & hes fixed now! Probaley quicker due to the broken M/chip
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2010, 09:09 AM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
Oh there you are then!!!!!!!

There are no rules!!!!!

A slightly off topic Microchip story!!

My friend had her 10yrold dogs microchip scanned routinely last year & it had gone! on further investigation it hadnt gone but had snapped in half & on further investigation the vertibre it was over was completly out of place. We suspect he banged himself mis timing going under a fence at collie speed or similar.

Anyway it lead to further back investigation & hes fixed now! Probaley quicker due to the broken M/chip
Awwwww that's a happy microchip gone wrong tale!
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2