View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
vicwilson18
New Member!
Female 

29-04-2009, 07:42 PM

Hello I'm a newbie! (puppy will only use the garden )

Hi everyone, Thought I would leave my 1st post by askin a question to rattle ur brains! I have a 15 wk west highland terrier cross, not sure what with.... his brindle in colour! He's been going pee & poop in the garden for a while now, barks to go out. Now he's fully vaccinated and able to go on walks, but........ he won't pee or poop on his walk! We've been on short walks, long walks in the woods, I let him sniff, I keep him by my side, i let him wander in front on extendable lead, I say 'go wee' (as I did when 1st training him in garden) I have the treats & praise ready...... but nothing! As soon as we get home he goes straight in the garden and doe's his business! I've tried taking him for a walk straight from his nap without letting him in the garden 1st to no avail. Yesterday I didn't let him out in the garden after walk, he didn't wee from about 11am till half 4 then after his walk he done a great big wee (not surprising) right by the back door with no bark warning! Anyone got any ideas please?? I'm wondering weather to literally take him out on lead every hour or something? At the moment his getting 20 min walk on morning school run, 1 hour appx in woods lunchtime, then 20 mins afternoon school run, then 10 min walk round the block early evening. Also any tips on trouser tugging and hand biting? Do I ignore or shout 'no' not that thats working! Phew sorry was a bit of a long 1st post everyone!
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2009, 08:36 PM
Hi,

First I think it's important to realise that whatever method you use to correct or train your pup, you must stick to it to avoid confusing him. Bear in mind that throughout his housetraining, he's been shown where to go to the toilet.

All of my dogs are the same and will only toilet on our patio. But think of it this way - would you want to do it in public?? )

Ho wlong have you been trying to get him to have a wee on his walks or inthe woods? It may be that he just needs more time but I'm sure it will come. Persevere with it and he'll do it one day.

As far as the trouser tugging/hand biting is concerned, with a young pup it could stem from a number of causes. it could be that he wants to play, or that he's teething etc

If it's obvious that he either wants to play or is just trying to get your attention then when he does it, squeal loudly and pull your hand away and ignore him. He'll realise that this is not accepted behaviour and will stop doing it.

Alternatively, and particualry with the trouser tugging, you could distract him and "swap" your trousers for a toy he likes to play with. Try to read the signs though so that he gets the toy to play with almost BEFORE he tugs at any trousers, otherwise he may see this as being rewarded for tugging at trousers in which case he'll do it all the more.

Also, have you enrolled him in a formal training/puppy class? Dogs benefit greatly from formal training and learn how to behave around other dogs and their owners in a very short space of time. The trainers there (and no doubt others on this board) should be able to give you far better ideas of howe to resolve the toileting and biting problems.

Finally, please ensure you don't over exercise him. He's still a very young pup and although they need exercising and walks, personally I think maybe half an hour at lunchtime would suffice. of course this is only my opinion based on my own pups and what I did with them.

Take care,

Laura xx
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-04-2009, 10:50 PM
Hi Vicky and welcome to Dogsey First your puppy refusing to relieve himself away from home. It he goes in the garden that is fine, I wouldn't try to make him do otherwise or you could create other problems and confuse him. At 15 weeks he is still very young and may not yet be very confident. I am sure you will find as he gets older and particularly when he reaches adolescence he will be more willing to 'go' away from the safety of home.

Now the play biting, A puppy should be encouraged to bite ever more gently until no pressure is exerted at all, this is called 'bite inhibition' and it is one of the most important things you can teach a puppy. If taught correctly it means as puppy grows up and develops powerful jaws, should he bite for any reason (say he is in in pain/at the vets being treated /gets accidentally hurt) he will have been taught never to sink his teeth into human skin.

Teaching a puppy bite inhibition takes time and patience and won't be achieved in just a few days, also to be successfully everyone in the household needs to adopt the same approach.

Link to teaching bite inhibition ..
click here

Regarding the pulling clothes, your puppy is playing and trying to get your attention so it is best not to reward the behaviour. When he pulls your clothes fold your arms/turn your back/no word /no eye contact. When he calms down ask him to sit and bend down (so you are not encouraging him to jump up) and praise him in a quiet voice.

leaho
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-04-2009, 07:33 AM
My puppy is 18 weeks and I had the same problem as you when I first took him for walks. One day while walking he kept stopping and looking at me and whining. I couldn't think why at first and then realised he was desperate for a wee and was waiting for my command. I said 'go wee' and you could see the the relief in his eyes! After that I made sure I gave him that command to remind him he could go every time we were out walking. After a week or so he was happy to go outside away from the garden without waiting for my command.

Beware of over exercising too, as it sounds like your puppy is getting a LOT! They only need around 20 minutes lead walking a day at that age. My pup has 10 mins on the lead, half an hour or so run around the field with other dogs(he can lie down and rest whenever he wants this way) and then 10 mins home. Any more than that and you risk weakening their developing muscles and joints. Lots of dog owners have warned me of this. He also has lots of opportunity to run around the garden all day but this is different to lead walking because he is able to rest when he feels the need. Just something to take into account maybe.
vicwilson18
New Member!
Female 

30-04-2009, 09:13 PM
Cor, Thanxs 4 that...... I didn't know it was 2 much walking for him! I will do less with him now, Thanxs again! Newbie to this forum AND newbie to being a dog owner, thankful 4 sites like this 4 the advice!
vicwilson18
New Member!
Female 

30-04-2009, 09:16 PM
Thanxs 4 ur advice, will do less walkin on the lead, cheers. His booked in 4 puppy training too.