View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jennifer01
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-11-2005, 05:54 PM

How can I leave the room without him pining for me?

we brought Kacey our male labrador (12 weeks) home on friday, he is lovley , sweet affectionate , but whimpers and pines and barks if we leave the room,
Kacey "when we have ro go out" staying in the kitchen with his water, bed, toys etc, the room joines on to the living room , seperated by a stair gate, now even if we leave him in the kitchen when the stair gate is close(and he can see us) he will cry, bark, etc for ages!
Now i wannna know how to help him, i tried to do all the things my friends with dogs told me (we never had this problem before with dogs to this extent) and i am getting conflicting info on the web, friends, in books.

so i thought i would ask what is the correct way to help him stop this?

thanks
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-11-2005, 06:56 PM
Hi Jennifer I am not going to say this is the correct way, opinions differ but it works for me

Athough annoying Kayceys behaviour is entirely normal...he is after all a pack animal born in a litter and he does not like being alone (and who can blame him ) The behaviour is worse in some dogs than others.
What you are aiming to teach him is that you not being there is no big thing and you will always return.
You need to stick to this rigidly to make it work and everyone in the house must do the same thing... do not expect it to work instantly it may take days.

Step one
Start by either going for a walk or a good play so that Kaycey is tired.
Go out of the room and shut the door.
After a moments go back in the room whether Kaycey is making a noise or not and do something like going in the cupboards but you must ignore Kaycey no word no eye contact.
Do this going in and out a few times shutting the door always ignoring Kaycey.
Eventually go back in the room and sit with a book still ignoring Kaycey, remember whatever he does do not look at him ...he does not exist.
When he is quiet call him to you and give him praise.
You are trying to teach him...
..going out of the room is no big deal,
..you will always return,
..when you are with him it does not mean he will automatically get your attention
...he will get attention when you are ready.
Step Two
When he can do this ok move on to leaving the room for a longer period only returning when he is quiet, even then do not make a fuss of him when you return..your coming and going should be 'no big thing' If you wish to praise him do so a few moments after you return to the room and only if he is quiet.
PS ... add a recently worn item of your clothing to his bed (have you an old t shirt you can wear for a bit to get your scent) he then has your scent for comfort
jennifer01
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-11-2005, 07:29 PM
thanks hun, will gibe it a go

jenny

p.s will keep u up-dated