Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
wizzymeg
New Member!
Female 

09-03-2012, 08:59 PM

Bumps on my dogs lower back

Hi everyone, my dog who is a cocker spaniel and another mix (not quite sure, we rescued her a few years back) I was playing with her and just felt these lumps on her back, there is no redness and they are hard, no fluid coming out. She seems to be quite irritated and is running up and down the room, rolling over and itching her back a lot, she just wont sit still which is unusual for this time of the night.

Just wondering if anyone has had this before with their dog? If the bumps are still there in the morning we will be taking her to the vet, we cant right now as it's too late. Thanks.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-03-2012, 09:01 PM
hi

sounds like an allergic reaction whether its fleas or something else(its a classic place for a flea saliva allergy)

do u have any piriton until the morn?(is she on any other medication?)
wizzymeg
New Member!
Female 

09-03-2012, 09:22 PM
She isn't on any medication right now, she was taking some antibiotics for her ear as there was some fluid in there but that was a week ago. I don't have any but I have some savlon im not sure if that will help. We usually use it on her when she gets a sore and it helps clear it up
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-03-2012, 06:54 PM
Sounds like urticaria or "hives", similar to an itchy nettle rash.

It generally arises from an allergy to something contacted externally or ingested or inhaled.

If so antihistamine helps to settle the reaction but if she rubs at it too much that can lead to inflammation and broken skin.

Inflammation and/or broken skin can allow access for secondary bacterial infection, so it is worth taking the dog to the vet. In any case a vet can see and examine the dog to ensure this is what it is.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-03-2012, 07:25 PM
One of our Border Collies has just got over the same.....only she had a couple of bald patches appear too.

After going back and forth to the vets for some tests, and having some bloods, the vet is happy that she has had a flea bite and she has had a skin reaction to it.
Annoying for us as 2 weeks before they had all been done against fleas too but it all cost me £188.40 to find this out.

Fortunately things have calmed down now and her fur is growing back
Piriton works wonders by the way
celli
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-03-2012, 08:10 PM
Try putting something like a bag of frozen pea's on the lumps, I find that can ease things when one of mine has run through nettles.
wizzymeg
New Member!
Female 

12-03-2012, 04:39 AM
Thanks for the replies the bumps eventually went away after a few hours, my parents took her to the vets in the morning